Control Panel Build

Thank for the information.

I understand that at the moment the Raspberry Pi has the WiFi and not the BrewPi. This will change in the future and the Raspberry Pi will move outside the panel.

I use my own software build at the moment, until i think the original software is ready. Certainly not as sophisticated but works for fermentation and brewing. I do not use the Raspberry Pi because it is very slow when you have a temperature reading every 15 seconds and you want to look at a graph with data over several days in Grafana. I installedy my API stack on an older thin client with a bit more power.

I must have missed somthing here, doesnā€™t the brewpi have wifi? I read on the website before I bought it that it had wifi. Damn this kinda ruin the control panel layout I made. I sure do hope that it its only a matter of flashing the brewpi to enable it in next build. Can anyone confirm that its only software issue?

Best regards Kenneth

The Core or the Photon, which is the heart of the BrewPi, has Wifi built in but is currently not utilised from the software that @Elco is building at the moment. The data transfer is done via USB serial link.

When @Elco is finishing the re-factoring soon and one of the next steps will be a Wifi option that will replace the USB serial link. This would allow you have a BrewPi connected to your Fridge(s) and also in your control panel for Mashing and both reporting back to a Raspberry Pi as the central data host and controller for all BrewPiā€™s.

Finally started building my control panel.

Love how clean the holes are when using a radio chassis punch.

Hoping the mash control features come soon

Thank you Thomas that cleared it up for med. Ill continue with the panel.

Added an variable powersupply for one of the pumps.

Testing heaters with PWM

1 Like

Hi there
My name is Oscar and I write from Spain.
I wonder if someone has a diagram of the control panel to control a system Herms?
I do not understand if it is something that is under development and therefore I canā€™t find anything
clear

Regards

Elco, can you share links/part#s for purchasing that enclosure and other misc. circuitry?

Thanks,
-F.

I notice nobody has ventilation in their control panels. Does this mean the SSRs do not give off enough heat to worry about the box heating up? Iā€™m currently designing my control panel, and will be powering 2x 3500W elements, with a custom box made of laser cut 4mm thick acrylic sheets.

If you control coolers or heaters with few watts the ssr do not really heat up. In your case you will not only need fans but also heat sinks.

Thanks @chixxi. Thatā€™s what I thought and was planning to do. I was just surprised not to see fans in any of these control panels. However, I guess some of them being metal and not thick acrylic would make a difference.

Hi Elco,

I like your panel. Bought the parts at Vekto.nl? (Aqcua Combi Famatel 3970/Gacia electronics) Do you have a more recent photo? I miss the main power cord and the Raspberry PI (or is the Brewpi communicating with the PI via wifi? :wink:) I assume that you use a dedicated Brewpi for the mashing? You switch the heating elements manually. The power that goes trough the switch can be a high as 15 amps.( I see no relay). Can you give the specs/brand of the switch you applied?
Iā€™am not an electrician so my knowledge on this is (very) limited.

thanks,
DH

Hi DH,

Yes, bought most of the parts there.
My panel has evolved a bit since then and we started making more advanced 3-phase panels. If I would do it again, I would not use those switched sockets, but switch the SSR control current instead.

Iā€™d like to offer ready built panels and have found a guy who can assemble them for me. Would you be interested in that? We source all the parts, assemble and you get a complete panel.

Would you be looking for a single or 3-phase system?

Elco

Hi Elco,

Thanks for your response.Yes Iā€™am interested. However, part of the fun is assembling it myself. Iā€™am a starter. The plan is starting with 15 gallon brew pots. So far, I plan a single phase electrical system. (I live in a ā€˜normalā€™ home, not planning to adapt my garage into a 3 phase situation). Switching the SSR part was what I had in mind. Please send me the info. My email adres is known by you.

gr
DH

Hereā€™s my Control Panel Build,

Iā€™m intending to velcro a Kindle Fire Tablet to the front for control whilst in the shed and I went with 2 isolating sockets and 2 non isolating as itā€™s nice to be able to quickly turn off/ isolate the HLT , my only worry is if an SSR fails, it normally fails in an ON state

Since itā€™s initial shakedown brew I have realised I need an override switch to turn off/reset the pi / Brewpi ā€¦

3 Likes

Why do you need to reset the Brewpi? I built my panel to work on both AuberIns PIDs and BrewPi because Iā€™m waiting for the multi-chamber software to work so I can take one of my two BrewPis and install it in my control panel. The downside is that being able to reset the BrewPi isnā€™t something I hadnā€™t considered and would have to drastically change things to make that happen on mine, but if itā€™s a big issue I need to start fixing it now.

@y2klightning whilst on the initial mash one of the sensors was reporting 85c after I swapped from fridge constant to profile and for some reason I couldnā€™t correct it even though I tried removing and re instating it and even swapped it out and configured a replacement in the maintenance panel so ended up cycling the power which ā€™ cured itā€™
I didnā€™t have an SSH client installed on the tablet to to reboot via a console session ā€¦ And thatā€™s something I wouldnā€™t want to do in the middle of a mash, far easier to cycle the power on the controllerā€¦