Brewometer integration

Raptor has done something similar. Brewometer integration Read through this thread there are a ton of useful nuggets.

Thanks, I did see that but I didn’t pay too much attention because it mentioned the data was in a SQLlite DB. I’ll have a closer look…

Thanks very much for sharing this! I have tried the PHP script as is, but the numbers returned appear to be complete garbage. It seems that my brewometer is returning different values - any suggestions?

A huge THANK YOU to @Elco and @sbowler for all of the effort on this, @rbpalmer for mentioning the need to run the fixPermissions.sh script (that fixed my graphing issue!) and everyone else for the comments and collaboration. It is truly amazing to me that even a RPi/BrewPi newbie like me can get this going with a little bit of effort and persistence thanks to everyone else. At this point my Brewpi is far more impressive to my family and friends than my homebrew is, but with time I’ll get there with the beer, too :slight_smile: .

2 Likes

I’m taking the plunge this week and integrating my Tilts into the BrewPi web interface. I am using the BrewPi Spark coupled to an RPi 3B with onboard Bluetooth.

I’m planning to follow the procedure posted on GetHub by @sbowler. Thanks @sbowler.
As a non-programmer, I’m somewhat intimidated and hoping for a success.

As such, I am open to all comments and advice.

Thanks.

1 Like

Hi @frizzo, I also have experienced this slowdown. It seems to be a result of brewpi code using an older version of dygraphs (not related to logging interval). I just finished some code to backup the brewlog data and from testing I noticed that the latest version of dygraphs (version 2.0.0) doesn’t have this slowdown issue.

For anyone interested, the brewpi backup code is available at:

See also: Backing Up Data

1 Like

Hi, @andylytical great work,
now if you could only do this for the legacy RPi3 and arduino…

Hi @dogworx,
Thanks! Have you tried it on your (older?) version of BrewPi? The code doesn’t depend on anything Photon specific, so it might work just fine. If it doesn’t, please file a feature request on the github project and we can discuss more there.

Thanks and nice work @andylytical! I’ll give it a try. It’s great news if this can improve the performance without a change to the logging interval.

Thanks @sbowler ! Just to clarify, the responsiveness improvement is realized in the (backup generated) static HTML file only, NOT in the live brewpi web interface. I should also note that my brewpi is still logging at 1 minute intervals (I never reset it to the default of 10 seconds), but still there is a noticeable difference in responsiveness on the offline graph.

Hello all,

I’m hoping that someone can help me with my integration of my Tilt into Brewpi. I followed the instructions provided on this thread by Mr. Bowler to complete the changes. I’ve been working on this for days with no solutions, I need another “set” of eyes. Here’s the error I recive in the Brewpi Logs:

ERROR: the newest version of BrewPi is not compatible with Arduino.
You can use our legacy branch with your Arduino, in which we only include the backwards compatible changes.
To change to the legacy branch, run: sudo ~/brewpi-tools/updater.py --ask , and choose the legacy branch.
Apr 28 2017 21:19:27 Opening serial port
Apr 28 2017 21:19:28 Notification: Script started for beer 'Tilt Test1’
Apr 28 2017 21:19:29 Checking software version on controller…
Apr 28 2017 21:19:33 Found BrewPi v0.2.10 build unknown, running on an Arduino Uno with a revC shield on port /dev/ttyUSB0

Apr 28 2017 21:19:33 Warning: minimum BrewPi version compatible with this script is 0.4.0 but version number received is 0.2.10

ERROR: the newest version of BrewPi is not compatible with Arduino.
You can use our legacy branch with your Arduino, in which we only include the backwards compatible changes.
To change to the legacy branch, run: sudo ~/brewpi-tools/updater.py --ask , and choose the legacy branch.

I ran the updater under the legacy branch. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hi @desmop, if you are using an arduino you do have to run the sudo ~/brewpi-tools/updater.py --ask command and set it back to legacy branch. [4].

Did you have the brewpi running prior to attempting this integration?

This is an issue others have brought up back in Feb. Have you looked back at earlier posts. Here is one that may help you. Brewometer integration
I would suggest that you first install the legacy version of brewpi as the error message instructs. verify that works before making any alterations. Then when thats working make the modifications for the tilt hydrometer integration.

Thanks Ron_K for the help. Everything was working fine before the integration of the “Tilt” file changes. I kept getting the brewpi log error that my version 0.2.10 was not compatible with the new 0.4.0 version script so it would halt. I had to wipe out /home/brewpi and www/var doing a complete refresh. Not sure I’m going to try it again. Thanks for the help.

I also use the arduino version. Instead of following SBowlers instructions for the spark version, I found This repository that forked off of the original version, written for the arduino. have you tried this? https://github.com/supercow/brewpi-brewometer

Thanks Ron, I will try this repository. I’ll keep you posted on the progress.

I followed the guide and installed everything. Given file permissions.
With test option I see the Tilt.
I can not, however, make the log on brewpi in graphical interface. You can not see anything.
In the log i have this error. What should I do?
May 06 2017 16:51:50 Found BrewPi v0.4.4 build 0.4.4-0-g6d17ff1, running on a Particle Photon with a V2 shield on port /dev/ttyACM0

Unhandled exception in thread started by >
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/brewpi/TiltHydrometer.py", line 361, in scan
blescan.hci_enable_le_scan(sock)
File "/home/brewpi/blescan.py", line 79, in hci_enable_le_scan
hci_toggle_le_scan(sock, 0x01)
File "/home/brewpi/blescan.py", line 103, in hci_toggle_le_scan
bluez.hci_send_cmd(sock, OGF_LE_CTL, OCF_LE_SET_SCAN_ENABLE, cmd_pkt)
_bluetooth.error: (1, 'Operation not permitted')
May 06 2017 16:57:21 Notification: Restarted logging for beer 'test%20TILT'.
May 06 2017 16:57:36 Notification: Beer temperature set to 20.0 degrees in web interface

Hi @kead,

This sounds like a bluetooth permissions problem. Can you try running again the setcap command, then restart the script:

sudo setcap cap_net_raw+eip $(eval readlink -f `which python`)

Nothing… i have try but same problems.
In web interface i don’t have the line of Tilt.
http://i.imgur.com/u94v6dy.png

Hi,

Just trying to set this thing up from scratch. Fresh install of BrewPi up and running, and added the files from https://github.com/sibowler/brewpi-brewometer according to the instructions.
TiltHydrometerTest.py finds my Tilt (Blue)

But no graphs are showing
In the logs I find this error:
Unhandled exception in thread started by >
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/home/brewpi/TiltHydrometer.py”, line 366, in scan
returnedList = blescan.parse_events(sock, 10)
File “/home/brewpi/blescan.py”, line 130, in parse_events
pkt = sock.recv(255)
_bluetooth.error: (32, ‘Broken pipe’)

I have tried to run the fixPermissions.sh scriptm but no changes made.