Backing Up Data

Just had the unfortunate experience of bricking my RPi mid-fermentation. Not due to the Brew Pi software. I was actually most of the way through implementing the Brewometer code provided by @sbowler when it happened. Not blaming his code either, I very well may have caused it myself.

Long story longer, I had to wipe my RPi and reinstall BrewPi in a hurry. Didn’t have enough time to try and troubleshoot what was wrong with the Pi or how I might be able to salvage my data - which is the biggest bummer of the whole thing.

Is anyone else backing up their data? If so, how?

Cheers!

I guess the easiest way to go would me to just make an image of your SD card. If something goes wrong you can just write the sd again and start over. Win32 Disk Imager can do that, ther also tools for mac and linux.

Unfortunately that doesn’t help mid-fermentation. And not very practical to have to do on a regular basis.

@nickhough

This won’t help now but.

I use this https://www.linux-tips-and-tricks.de/en/raspberry/303-pi-creates-automatic-backups-of-itself

Allows you to take an image of the SD card from the PI to a mounted shared folder (NAS) or somewhere, I have a cron job that runs daily and emails me the result.

This also allows you to restore the image directly onto the SD card just like you create it from Raspbian.

I’ll give that a shot, thanks.

Unless I’m mistaken, even though the Pi went wacko that the Arduinos continue to operate with the last code loaded to it. Data won’t get recorded, but if you aren’t changing the temp profile then the temp is still maintained.

Correct. I was referencing that fact that I lost all my brew history.

Hi @nickhough,
After reading this post a few months back I never stopped thinking about it. The brewing history is the most important historical data and lack of a backup procedure is an important missing feature (in my opinion). A thousand kudos to @Elco and team for such an amazing tool in BrewPi and supporting code and @sbowler for TiltHydrometer integration. Without them there would be nothing to backup in the first place. I’m overjoyed to contribute what I can to the project and the community.

I backup my brewlog data to Dropbox AND create a static HTML page for each fermentation (no need to put it back on the RPi just to view it).

Code and instructions are at:

Please, any and everyone, post comments, feedback, suggestions.

1 Like

I have moved the backup portion of the code to it’s own repo at:

The code still backs up to Dropbox, however, I have re-written the sync portion using the official Dropbox SDK and, as a result, installation is now much simpler.

Cheers!

1 Like

I have installed this, but have not been able to make it work. I’m getting some errors. I don’t suppose you have tested this on a PI Model B?

/usr/local/lib/python3.4/dist-packages/requests/init.py:80: RequestsDependencyWarning: urllib3 (1.9.1) or chardet (3.0.4) doesn’t match a supported version!
RequestsDependencyWarning)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/home/pi/brewpi-backup/sync.py”, line 7, in
import dropbox
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.4/dist-packages/dropbox/init.py”, line 3, in
from .dropbox import version, Dropbox, DropboxTeam, create_session # noqa: F401
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.4/dist-packages/dropbox/dropbox.py”, line 18, in
import requests
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.4/dist-packages/requests/init.py”, line 90, in
from urllib3.exceptions import DependencyWarning
ImportError: cannot import name ‘DependencyWarning’