Software Install Guide

Done with same results. I have tried to change SD card and pi. All the same.
The git clone is it anything I need to do with that or just copy paste the link.
Thanks for the help, I am out of idees now.

The problem has nothing to do with git.
You are getting an error when downloading packages from apt-get. This is not even BrewPi related, but a standard Linux install/update procedure.

I have no idea why it is not working. I would try with a fresh install of raspbian-lite.

I just installed a multi chamber BrewPi setup, following the Instructables and diybrewpi.wikia page about this, and a user there mentioned that Raspbian Jessie is not supported, only Wheezy. Could that be the problem? Newer RasPis (I got a 2B) come with Jessie in the Noobs card…
Unrelated to this, I noticed you @Elco mentiones a few posts back that “The latest version of BrewPi automatically recognizes witch port the Core/Photon/Arduino is on, and I recommend leaving the port setting at auto.” Does it mean it will work with the Arduinos? I recall reading somewhere that the new version, from 0.3.1 on (I believe) would not support Arduinos… and then I see the firmware for Arduino on the same as the Spark? Sorry to ask so much, I’m pretty new to this all as well, still working around glitches and trying to wrap my head around it. Keep up the great work!

Degian Jesse is no problem.

auto port detection should work with Arduino, but if you are connecting multiple Arduinos to one Pi, you should not use it.

The firmware on the Arduino is NOT the same as on the Spark. The firmware on the Spark will continue to receive updates, but the Arduino is not compatible with our latest software and will not receive any more updates.

I have to perform a clean install for an arduino based brewpi system soon. Does the install script prompt for the legacy branch, or will I have to run the updater to switch branches?

@quantum8
See the first post here under “Arduino users”:

So in other words, I have to run the updater script to switch the branch afterwards. Thanks @rdharles.

This information should be collated in the main software install guide for new installs, or at least linked to this other information.

With newer versions of debian / raspberian & Apache2, the default directory has changed to /var/www/html.
I wouldn’t recommend reconfiguring for the old directory name, simply using /var/www/html when needed in the brewpi install/config.

Elco,

settings/defaults.cfg has a variable of wwwPath= /var/www/
Updating the brewpi/settings/*.cfg file path to /var/www/html should be sufficient (rather than modify any 3rd party package configs.)

That said, a couple of files have a hardcoded definition including the old Apache DocumentRoot path (/var/www/… instead of /var/www/html/…) rather than depending on brewpi’s own custom config variable.
including:
/home/brewpi/BrewPiUtil.py
/home/brewpi/utils/fixPermissions.sh

Best to include an environmental vars parameter file that the scripts source, and use that var - or make the scripts smart enough to find either the old & new paths rather than hardcode only the old one.

1 Like

I have the new BrewPi Spark v2 Controller and I am trying to get it to control the Sainsmart 2 channel relay. I notice that the digital output is only @4.8v not 5v … could this cause the relay to not “click”?

First off I understand that you don’t recommend these relays however from what I understand the SSD relays ONLY work with AC output…I am using 2 DC devices (DC heater & DC pump) from a SS Conical Fermenter Temp Control setup.

On the 4 PIN [GND, IN1, IN2, VCC] I connected:
BrewPi Digital Out (set 0) + <----------> IN1
External Power 5V + <------------------> VCC
External Power - <------------------> GND

On the 3 PIN side of the realy [JD-VCC, VCC, GND]:
The jumper was on the JD-VCC & VCC
The GND was not connected to anything

I have verified that the relay does in fact work. I have verified the touch screen on the BrewPi does in fact turn on/off the digital outs (each one is pushing 4.8V).

I am a NOOB when it comes to the relays and the hardware portion of this project I must admit, the schematic found here: http://www.sainsmart.com/arduino-pro-mini.html did not help me.

The problem is that you have not connected the grounds of both boards. This means that the digital output is floating. The 5V has no reference. Voltages are relative, so you need to connect both grounds, so that 5V on one board is the same as 5V on the other board. So the green digital out on the BrewPi Spark needs both wires connected.

1 Like

You can make it a lot easier, and less noise buy using a DC - DC SSR. I’m using two of those to control 2 12vDC items (Pump and Heating pad) and only needs 2 wires from Spark.

Hello, I followed the instructions exactly but wanted to know if now is the time to connect the spark brewpi v2 and if you need to install some other script. I loaded the OS, I updated the Raspberry Pi 3 b (updates, upgrades, and rpi-update) I have given static ip and then I launched sudo apt-get install git and git clone http: // … … the folder is created in the home / pi / brewpi tools but when launch updater.py does not find the home / brewpi tools folder. Now I’m a bit confused because this guide is completely different from brewpi 0.3.0 documentation where the steps to do are much more. How should I proceed? Sorry for my English.

For a single BrewPi Spark connected to a Raspberry Pi is just 3 commands to do the install of the BrewPi Software.

sudo apt-get install git
git clone https://github.com/BrewPi/brewpi-tools.git ~/brewpi-tools
sudo ~/brewpi-tools/install.sh

The update script is only for down the road when they release new version of software or core software companants need to be updated

sudo ~/brewpi-tools/updater.py

1 Like

I have followed the Software Install Guide faithfully but from the BrewPi Browser I cant get the script to run.

In running updater.py I am asked …

*** Updating BrewPi web interface repository ***
The path ‘/var/www’ does not seem to be a valid git repository
What path did you install the BrewPi web interface scripts to?

Can anyone advise what the answer to this question is ?

If you are using Wheezy take the default. If you are running Jessie, it should be /var/www/html.

New RaspPi users may have an issue remotely (outside of LAN) accessing a wifi ONLY BrewPi Server (i.e. not ethernet cable connected). This is because external port forwarding from many routers will have a difficult time forwarding correctly (from external …no issue if within LAN or using VPN).

seems that eternal port forwarding (without ethernet, eth0, connected, REQUIRES the implementation of the static IP to be hard coded (i.e. not via GUI):

static ip_address=192.168.1.XX

SOLUTION:
ssh into your RaspPi:

sudo ssh pi@YOUR.RASP.Pi.IP
sudo cd /etc/
sudo nano dhcpcd.conf

edit the /etc/dhcpcd.conf file and add the the following:

static ip_address=192.168.1.XX

where 192.168.1.XX is your RaspPi 's static IP for the wlan0 (wifi adapter). I would recommend also adding an IP reservation to your router OR place the RaspPi’s wifi IP outside the dhcp range on your router.

The GUI assignment of defining an IP does NOT make it static…and in turn will not allow your router to port forward to the wlan adapter

Is it possible to use the Sainsmart 2 channel relay for both heating and cooling? I had it hooked up (incorrectly apparently) and anytime 1 relay would go meet the critera to turn on it would turn both on… I think becase the VCC is shared? Attached is a picture… perhaps you can tell me where to place the remaining 2 wires (port 1 +/-)…thanks in advance.

I recommend using SSRs, because they switch on a zero crossing of the AC signal and will cause less noise and interference because of it.

It will also be easier to connect, because this board needs a separate supply for GND and VCC.

This is how another user solved it:

Please note that the BrewPi Spark switches the negative pin, not the positive pin.

Everything I am running is DC (12V DC pump and heat pad).

In that case, SSRs would not work. The rest still applies.