Adding a display to Rpi - 'display best practice'

@cke11y, I was under the impression that if your RasPi was directly connected to your Spark via USB cable, then you would still be able to see the web UI, logging, and control even when there was no Internet available. @Elco, Is that incorrect? Or does the RasPi have to be connected to the Internet to communicate with the Spark?

@bryancm1 You are correct. In the situation you describe you donā€™t need LAN connection if your 7" screen is connected directly to your raspi. @Elco Confirms this earlier in the thread.

I think you still access via a web browser in raspbian? And still use the IP address of the raspi?

Please make sure you think hard about the necessity of seeing both screens on front of your panel.

Hiding brewpi and having the raspi visible is what I think is the best option.

Yes, you can just point the raspberry pi to localhost and not need an internet connection.

Dimensions of the board are 90x60mm and the display itself 60x42mm.

@Elco, Thanks for that and sorry for all the questions. I am new to this stuff but will learn quickly and contribute to the community in time. If I so set it up this way, with a smaller touch screen connected to the RPi, I will still be able to access the data remotely via another computer, correct? Or will connecting the RPi to localhost eliminate that possibility?

@ckelly I think I want both and have figured a way to mount them and all the other components internalized. Time to sleep on it and then get to ordering parts tomorrow. Thanks for your input.

Yes, you can connect multiple clients to the web server, no problem. The web browser on the pi is just another client.
Mounting should be easy using the threaded busses on the board.

Does anyone have the dimensions for the assembled BrewPi Spark? Trying to see how much space it will take up inside my enclosure.

1 Like

95x65x38mm. You will also need some clearance for the connectors.

so iā€™ve found thisā€¦

which is a special OS to start up and start a browserā€¦ would it be possible to run this together with the brewpi? combine both? that way you can use the official raspberry pi display and have a great solutionā€¦

You donā€™t need a separate OS for this you just need to set up Kiosk which will open up a selected webpage In a browser of your choice on startup.

would be nice to include a script that did that for youā€¦ since iā€™m lazy and all :wink:

Not something Iā€™m talented enough to help with but I seem to remember it only took about 15 mins cutting and pasting

http://blogs.wcode.org/2013/09/howto-boot-your-raspberry-pi-into-a-fullscreen-browser-kiosk/