Beta releases now available

OK, I will post the log as soon as I get home, I do not have remote access.

The powersupply ist 2.5A which should be sufficient on a raspberry 2. Could be that the powersupply went bad, I have seen quite a few which are not capable of supplying the specified amperage even when new. The setup has been running for quite some time now, but I will check the voltage too and let you know.

I would only use the official raspberry pi power supplies. Phone chargers are usually not sufficient.

I am getting 4.75 volts on the RJ12 connector of the spark. I guess this could be an issue. I have another BrewPi setup with a raspberry 3 and the official powersupply, I am getting 4.81 volts with this setup.

How do you recognize a “good” USB cable? Any brand recomendations? I just went for the expensive ones, as short as possible.

According to the log the problem is the connection to the spark if I understood this correctly. The following message is loggeg every 30 second since may 3:
May 03 2016 09:28:04 Serial Error: Write timeout)

In my opinion this explains why no data was logged. But it does not explain why the sensor was lost and the regulation stopped. But I guess there are no logs on the photon itself to figure that out?

4.75 volts sounds fine. But serial write timeout is usually caused by a bad USB connection, so try swapping the cable.
One tell-tale sign for a good cable is if it includes a ferrite bead.
If you yanked on the cable sometime, it could also be that the Photon USB connector is a bit loose, they are not very sturdy and can deform when someone pulls on the cable.

Hi Elco,

Just some feedback, I couldn’t get 4.3 to provide “a clean” control of the beer. So I rolled back to 4.2 and it is quite different.
I have attached a couple of graphs using a gallon of water with a thermowell.

The first is 4.2 with default settings and the second 4.3 with default (shorter time scale)

I retained 4.2 for my latest brew “Beer” which was a 10gal volume in a conical. As you can see it was perfect.

However I just happened to be in the room when I caught that the heater (hairdryer) was on continuously and the fridge temp was 30+! I noticed that the beer and fridge temp on the brewpi were flashing between a temp and blank.

Here are the enlarged portions of the last bit of the graph

I have reset the Brewpi but no change, any clues as to what has happened.

Cheers

Dave.

In addition… you can see that the graph trace for the beer/fridge is broken, the room trace is continuos.
The fridge/beer are connected with a one wire expansion board.

Dave.

Check the cabling to that board. I suspect the cable is unreliable.

With 4.3, it seems that your fridge setting is fluctuating a lot with every bit flip in the beer. Please increase the beer-to-fridge derivative filtering to its maximum setting.

Thanks Elco,

I did suspect the cable.I have a reasonably long run (5m) but bit difficult to check at the moment as it will involve moving the fridge. Anyway since that “episode” it appears to be back to normal. I have however removed the heater just in case. The ambient temperature is still higher so heating is not yet needed.

Once this brew is finished I will give the 4.3 another try with the setting you have recommended.

Dave.

@Elco I updated both of my BrewPi’s to the new software. Since I don’t have another brew coming up for two weeks, I decided to take my chances and leave both BrewPis plugged into the RaspberryPi. Everything worked great as long as you provide the correct paths. The only issue I had was that when I told it I didn’t want it to try and restore my settings, it wouldn’t update. Unfortunately, I lost the SSH session text so I can’t send you the data. But this does confirm the update script can handle multiple BrewPis.