Brewblox release 2021/11/29

Do the logs for the tilt service show anything new?

here is my termbin: https://termbin.com/g0fa

EDIT: A shot in the dark here, but does it matter that there’s no port for the Tilt?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Containers +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Name                      Command               State                                   Ports                                 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
brewblox_eventbus_1    /docker-entrypoint.sh /usr ...   Up      0.0.0.0:1883->1883/tcp,:::1883->1883/tcp                              
brewblox_history_1     python3 -m brewblox_history      Up      5000/tcp                                                              
brewblox_redis_1       docker-entrypoint.sh --app ...   Up      6379/tcp                                                              
brewblox_spark-one_1   python3 -m brewblox_devcon ...   Up      5000/tcp                                                              
brewblox_tilt_1        python3 -m brewblox_tilt         Up                                                                            
brewblox_traefik_1     /entrypoint.sh --api.dashb ...   Up      0.0.0.0:443->443/tcp,:::443->443/tcp, 0.0.0.0:80->80/tcp,:::80->80/tcp
brewblox_ui_1          /docker-entrypoint.sh ngin ...   Up      80/tcp                                                                
brewblox_victoria_1    /victoria-metrics-prod --r ...   Up      8428/tcp   

The tilt service looks entirely normal, apart from nothing showing up.

This is intentional.

Maybe a stupid question, but did you restart the Pi after updating?

I can also prepare some more detailed tests, but that involves code, so will have to wait until tomorrow.

Yes I did restart the pi after updating. Strangely enough, I removed the official Tilt service and reinstalled the original 3rd party one, and now I can see tilt values in the metrics widget again. Here is the output from brewblox-ctl follow pi:

Attaching to brewblox_tilt_1
tilt_1       | 2021/12/01 23:43:41 INFO     brewblox_tilt                   Calibration file /share/SGCal.csv loaded for colours: 
tilt_1       | 2021/12/01 23:43:41 INFO     brewblox_tilt                   Calibration file /share/tempCal.csv loaded for colours: 
tilt_1       | 2021/12/01 23:43:41 INFO     brewblox_service.service        Service name: tilt
tilt_1       | 2021/12/01 23:43:41 INFO     brewblox_service.service        Service info: v1.0.2-66-g8f4be02 @ Mon Jan 11 19:31:43 UTC 2021
tilt_1       | 2021/12/01 23:43:41 INFO     brewblox_service.service        Service config: {'host': '0.0.0.0', 'port': 5001, 'name': 'tilt', 'debug': False, 'mqtt_protocol': 'wss', 'mqtt_host': '172.17.0.1', 'mqtt_port': None, 'mqtt_path': '/eventbus', 'history_topic': 'brewcast/history', 'state_topic': 'brewcast/state', 'lower_bound': 0.5, 'upper_bound': 2}
tilt_1       | 2021/12/01 23:43:41 INFO     brewblox_service.mqtt           Starting <EventHandler for wss://172.17.0.1:443/eventbus>
tilt_1       | 2021/12/01 23:43:41 INFO     brewblox_tilt                   Started TiltScanner
tilt_1       | 2021/12/01 23:43:41 INFO     brewblox_tilt                   Found Tilt: Green

Good to know. That narrows down the list of potential causes. I’ll cook up something to verify tomorrow.

Final thing for today: I borrowed my neighbors Black tilt and repeated all these steps. It also is visible using James’ tilt service, but not with yours.

Thanks for your help on this!

There are some reports that Bluetooth versions impact things.
What is the output of these commands?

hciconfig -a
apt show bluez

I published a version of the tilt service to develop that lets you override its internal setting for the used bluetooth version.
To set it, update image to brewblox/brewblox-tilt:develop, and add the HCI_VERSION environment variable:

tilt:
    image: brewblox/brewblox-tilt:develop
    labels:
    - traefik.enable=false
    environment: ["HCI_VERSION=8"]
    network_mode: host
    privileged: true
    restart: unless-stopped
    volumes:
    - ./tilt:/share

Relevant values for the HCI version can be found in https://btprodspecificationrefs.blob.core.windows.net/assigned-numbers/Assigned%20Number%20Types/Host%20Controller%20Interface.pdf, but you’ll want to try 6, 7, and 8 mostly.

There’s no need to stop the services while editing. Run brewblox-ctl up again, and it will restart the tilt service to apply the changes.

Thanks Bob. Do I update my docker-compose.yml with that block you just updated?

hci0:	Type: Primary  Bus: UART
	BD Address: B8:27:EB:00:B9:66  ACL MTU: 1021:8  SCO MTU: 64:1
	UP RUNNING 
	RX bytes:1562 acl:0 sco:0 events:96 errors:0
	TX bytes:2574 acl:0 sco:0 commands:96 errors:0
	Features: 0xbf 0xfe 0xcf 0xfe 0xdb 0xff 0x7b 0x87
	Packet type: DM1 DM3 DM5 DH1 DH3 DH5 HV1 HV2 HV3 
	Link policy: RSWITCH SNIFF 
	Link mode: SLAVE ACCEPT 
	Name: 'raspberrypi'
	Class: 0x000000
	Service Classes: Unspecified
	Device Class: Miscellaneous, 
	HCI Version: 5.0 (0x9)  Revision: 0x156
	LMP Version: 5.0 (0x9)  Subversion: 0x6119
	Manufacturer: Cypress Semiconductor Corporation (305)

Package: bluez
Version: 5.50-1.2~deb10u2+rpt1
Priority: optional
Section: admin
Maintainer: Debian Bluetooth Maintainers <team+pkg-bluetooth@tracker.debian.org>
Installed-Size: 3,771 kB
Depends: libasound2 (>= 1.0.17), libc6 (>= 2.28), libdbus-1-3 (>= 1.9.14), libdw1 (>= 0.127), libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.31.8), libreadline7 (>= 6.0), libudev1 (>= 196), kmod, udev, lsb-base, dbus
Suggests: pulseaudio-module-bluetooth
Conflicts: bluez-audio (<= 3.36-3), bluez-utils (<= 3.36-3)
Breaks: udev (<< 170-1)
Replaces: bluez-audio (<= 3.36-3), bluez-input, bluez-network, bluez-serial, bluez-utils (<= 3.36-3), udev (<< 170-1)
Homepage: http://www.bluez.org
Download-Size: 770 kB
APT-Manual-Installed: no
APT-Sources: http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian buster/main armhf Packages
Description: Bluetooth tools and daemons
 This package contains tools and system daemons for using Bluetooth devices.
 BlueZ is the official Linux Bluetooth protocol stack. It is an Open Source
 project distributed under GNU General Public License (GPL).

N: There is 1 additional record. Please use the '-a' switch to see it

Yes, you can replace your current tilt service with that block of config.

With a flick of his magic wand, Bob saves the day!

Yay!

The problem seems to be the combination of Bluez 5.50 and Bluetooth 5.0+ (HCI version). The environment variable overrides the adapter setting, and switches back to Bluetooth 4.2. I already added a Pi 4-specific patch, but a more extensive solution seems to be required.

Unrelated: your Pi is throwing up undervoltage errors. You may want to double check your power supply.

On the new Tilt Display in the Builder widget, it seems that it maybe isn’t supported on iOS screens? Have you noticed this before?

No, that’s new - but we don’t have Apple hardware at hand, so tests are sketchy.

Does this also happen on other browsers, or is it a Safari-specific problem?

Trying out the Tilt integration for the first time in a long, long time. Seems much improved so far vs last time.

At this point I think there’s there’s 2 important features it’d take to make my TiltPi redundant:

1. A calibration UI
  2. Ability to log to Brewfather

I’ll make an issue for it, but it’s likely to be part of a minimalistic standalone UI for the tilt service.
For technical reasons, two-way communication between the tilt service and the main UI is somewhat limited.

This is in progress as part of a third-party integration at GitHub - astephon88/brewblox-brewfather-uploader

It works properly on Chrome for ios.

That is a bit odd, given that Chrome on iOS is forced to use the same rendering engine as Safari.
I’ve been tinkering with running MacOS in a VM lately, and will have a look at reproducing the issue.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.