BrewBlox Tilt Service

I have also updated and not seen any errors yet :slight_smile:

1 Like

@j616s I am interested in adding the Tilt Service. I am new to the whole docker thing. How do I go about modifying the Docker Compose file?

Sorry for the slow reply. I’ve been on holiday.

The docker compose file is docker-compose.yml in your brewblox directory. You can modify it using a text editor such as nano https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/42980/the-beginners-guide-to-nano-the-linux-command-line-text-editor/

@j616s thanks for your integration of Tilt Hydrometer in BrewBlox. I installed the system and everything works well from beginning. I don’t know, if you want to do some more improvements in the system. Unfortunately I’m not able to do them. I would like to give you some ideas, what features of the system I would love to see in the future:

• Tilt as an own widget, where I can display the actual SG and configure the Tilt.

• Calibration within the widget and not in a file, which I have to create within the file-system and which I have to edit by a text-editor.

• Conversion from SG to Plato. Many people use °Plato and have to convert from SG. In the latest Version ot the original Tilt app it is also included because of my suggestion. There could be both values, like you managed it with the temperature.

• Possiblity to enter the OG (original gravity) of a beer to calculate and show some measures like ABV, attenuation.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Currently a widget (for display, configuration, and attenuation) would require several changes to the main brewblox-ui code. I unfortunately don’t have time to do this at the moment. But it is possible and has been mentioned in conversations with @Bob_Steers in the past. You can display current values using the Metrics widget, though.

Conversion to plato would be relatively simple. I’ll add this when I have time. Probably this weekend.

Thanks for that. Conversion to plato will be great for me. All other things would be a “nice to have”, but not a “must have”.
Maybe sometime or someone will take the suggestions for further improvements.

Plato support added. Run a brewblox-ctl update in your brewblox directory to get the update.

I’ve also confirmed the bluez package in the Debian repos works on Raspbian so have added details for how to install it to the readme for anyone having bluetooth issues.

I have updated Bluez to version 5-50.
And I’m struggling with bluetooth. It can’t maintain contact with Tilt. If I stop and start Brewblox or turn on and off bluetooth, contact will be established again for a while and then lose contact again.

That’s a shame. That’s supposed to be fixed in 5.50 :frowning:

Are you using a Raspberry Pi 3 model B?

Hi there,

I have been following this thread as I also wish to enable the tilt service in my brewblox system.

I have followed you guide and am encountering similar issues to @rbpalmer. I have included a link to my log file generated by brewblox, would you be able to have a quick look to see whether I have made a stupid mistake or missed something.

https://termbin.com/dgkz

Cheers

Stuart

Looking at the logs, the service seems to be running fine. It’s found a bluetooth device but it doesn’t seem to be a Tilt.

Just to check, have you checked to see if the Tilt app on your mobile can see the Tilt. Preferably when your mobile is close to where your Raspberry Pi is. I’m wondering if the Tilt isn’t working or if the raspberry pi isn’t in a place where it can get the signal.

Thanks for the quick reply. OK will see if the tilt can be seen by the app on the phone and will get back to you.

OK. So with the phone in the same proximity to the brewblox pi, the tilt app finds the tilt and gives me a reading. The tilt is currently bound to my Fermentrack controller and giving me readings of SG and temp. The Fermentrack controller and the Brewblox controller are side by side on the wall.
If my understanding is correct this should not make a difference and the tilt only advertises the values.
Hope this information helps.

Sorry for the slightly slower reply. That shouldn’t cause any problems. As you say, the Tilt just broadcasts its data. I’ll have a look this afternoon when I’ve got more time and see if there’s any other useful information you can send so I can help you :slight_smile:

Thanks for getting back to me. I have managed, using some Bluetooth tools to monitor what I believe is the data being broadcast from the tilt. Unfortunately I can not confirm the Mac address as it is currently bobbing up and down in a brew. Will have another look later on.

Basic question. I have Tilt installed with BrewBlox. How do I add it? I looked at adding it as a widget to the dash board but didn’t see any Tilt widget. Using the Tilt app on my phone, I can see the tilt.

Thanks

Right now there is no specific Tilt widget: you can view its values in either the Metric widget, or the Graph widget.

Thanks I will try that this evening.

Sorry about the slow reply again. Weekend ended up being a bit busier than expected. Do you have the data you thing is the Tilt transmissions?

No worries about the time scale. I can certainly try and get the information again. I have attached a screen grab from an app called “Beacon Scanner”. This was obtain whilst holding the phone in proximity to the brew fridge and the Raspberry pi running Brewblox. I will capture and send the other data later on when I am back at home,

Regards