Cannot upload Hex Code to my Arduino [Solved]

I stumbled across the BrewPi project bases on FuzzeWuzzes mammoth post on Homebrew talk, and as I already had been given an arduino as a christmas present last year and not found a project for it decided that I just needed to build one. So I ordered a Pi 2 (Model B 1GB), and a relay board.

After eventually getting the wifi dongle working I was waiting for a USD Type A-B cable to arrive, but found one in my box of bits, so linked up the UNO just to see what BrewPi looked like.

Following the excellent instructions. I ran the automatic install and everything appeared to work, apart from when I tried to upload the hex image and it told me I didn’t have the arduino-core installed . . .but that was simple to fix.

So I now have a SainSmart AT Mega 2560 Arduino ready to program, download the hex image for the Uno-RevC dated 01/07/2014, and try to upload using the settings

Board Type Mega 2560
Restore Old Settings No
Restore Old Devices No

I always get the same output as a result

Result of invoking avrdude:

avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.01s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e9801
avrdude: erasing chip
avrdude: reading input file "brewpi-uno-revC.hex"
avrdude: input file brewpi-uno-revC.hex auto detected as Intel Hex
avrdude: writing flash (25766 bytes):

Writing | ################################################## | 100% 4.56s

avrdude: 25766 bytes of flash written
avrdude: verifying flash memory against brewpi-uno-revC.hex:
avrdude: load data flash data from input file brewpi-uno-revC.hex:
avrdude: input file brewpi-uno-revC.hex auto detected as Intel Hex
avrdude: input file brewpi-uno-revC.hex contains 25766 bytes
avrdude: reading on-chip flash data:

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 3.31s

avrdude: verifying ...
avrdude: 25766 bytes of flash verified

avrdude done. Thank you.

Avrdude done, programming succesful!
Giving the Arduino a few seconds to power up...
Back up in 5...
Back up in 4...
Back up in 3...
Back up in 2...
Back up in 1...
Back up in 0...
Waiting for device to reset.
Warning: Cannot receive version number from controller. Your controller is either not programmed yet or running a very old version of BrewPi. It will be reset to defaults.
Resetting EEPROM to default settings
Warning: Cannot receive version number from controller after programming.
Something must have gone wrong. Restoring settings/devices settings failed.

Jul 31 2015 17:03:45 New program uploaded to controller, script will restart
Jul 31 2015 17:03:50 Notification: Script started for beer 'My First BrewPi Run'
Jul 31 2015 17:04:00 Checking software version on controller...
Jul 31 2015 17:04:11 Warning: Cannot receive version number from controller. Your controller is either not programmed or running a very old version of BrewPi. Please upload a new version of BrewPi to your controller.

I’ve even tried using XLoader to upload the hex image but the Pi reports that it is an old version or not programmed. I’m just downloading the IDE to this PC to check the Mega with Blink, but looking at the response in the log window, I think it’s fine.

Anyone Any ideas??

We do not support the Arduino Mega. You are trying to flash a hex file for the Arduino Uno to the Arduino Mega. That is why it is not working.

Time to get an Uno Then :smiley: