Holy shit! Everything crapped out

Still trying but these are just the same commands I have been trying over and over and I keep getting the same results. Seems I’m missing something very basic…

The brewing system controller UI indicates spark-rims and seems to be functioning without issues. I’m very hesitant to mess with it.

I have been trying to run these specific commands when “puttied” into each RPi associated with each controller.

Too frustrating,… I’m done for the day… Back to reading your guide.

Thanks for trying to help.

To make the choice more obvious, you could disconnect all other controllers when setting up a service.

First, disconnect all controllers except the spark-rims one, and then run brewblox-ctl add-spark -n spark-rims.
Then disconnect all controllers (including spark-rims) except spark-ava, and run brewblox-ctl add-spark -n spark-ava.
Repeat until you have a service for each controller, and then reconnect all your controllers.

You say disconnect, for the most part, I have only had one powered up at a time. I assume this is sufficient to meet the disconnect requirement.

I’ll reread your Adding Additional Controllers tonight and give it a try again tomorrow. The strange part is that I had no issues with the renaming of the first (Spark 4) controller to spark-rims…

Re-reading your earlier description, it may be that spark-rims is connected to the wrong controller right now. You’ll want to double check by powering down the controller, and checking if spark-rims loses connection.

Currently, the spark-rims controller it is the only controller powered up! The two Spark 3’s are both powered down.

It seems to be controlling temps very well. Here’s a couple of screen shots of my rudimentary UI. It indicates the proper controller, spark-rims, doesn’t it?

Good to hear! For comparison, you can find the service ID of the connected controller in the UI service page → Spark System Info block. This is a Spark 4, so it will have 12 characters. All Spark 3s have IDs of 20 characters.

OK, Yup, I got a 12 character Controller ID on the Systeminfo. Good to go!

Now, just to get the two fermentation fridges (Spark 3’s) back into service. Tomorrow, I’ll give the Fermentation System Ava another try with everything else powered down.

Reading through your guide, I see that my setup is somewhat different. Rather than having only one server, as in your example, I have one server for each Spark Controller. They are all RaspberryPi’s 4’s. Is this causing my issue?

Having multiple servers makes things more complicated. You need to keep track that only one service is configured to connect to any given controller.

If your Sparks are in the same local network, I do recommend using a single server. It’s simpler to configure and update, and you can manage everything using a single UI.

That said, if you prefer having multiple servers, there’s no technical reason why it won’t work.

Thanks Bob. Have a great Holiday weekend!

Ric

An update:

I’ve got everything back up and running. The RIMS brewing system is functioning on a Spark 4 using “spark-rims” service and coupled to an RPi 4.

The two fermentation fridges each have a Spark 3 using “spark-one” service, and each coupled to its own RPi 4 via USB.

Both of the fermentation fridges and the RIMS Brewing system “report to a 4th RPi which is my UI and Tilt server.

I gave up on trying to get the two Spark 3’s on distinct “spark-name” service. They have been running for several years in a “spark-one” configuration, with only minor issues which I now understand somewhat. To make program changes or to do updates, I will power down the other “spark-one” controller.

Ric

1 Like