Idea for thermowell

I would love to see two available lengths on such a probe:

• the standard length as pictured in your post (looks like 60-80mm)
  • a 250mm one for putting into large vessels (e.g. the 1BBL fermenter from Stout)

The latter implies a fitting to convert from BSP/NPT to Tri-Clamp, but in any case the intent is to get the probe close to the middle of a large volume.

Those are nice!!! I will prob. be getting some of these.

This is the maximum length they can drill from a single piece of metal.

For a longer probe, they have to weld a tube into a threaded flange, something which my current supplier cannot do.
I think for those lengths, you can just as well buy a thermowell and insert a normal probe.

That looks great Elco. I am currently waiting to buy a brewpi set up. Do you have a rough idea when the thermowell would be available to buy?
Thanks.

I will do a new prototype with the bigger flange first (2 weeks) and then a production run (3 weeks).
Maybe faster, but I expect it will take at least a month.

Thanks Elco. I’m happy to wait.

I am currently doing brew in a bag, mashing in my 32 litre kettle. I have it on a halogen hob which I can use manually to provide a bit of heat if required during mashing. How high up the kettle wall do people think would be a good place to mount the thermowell for this use?

Well those are fancy, will they be in NPT as well?

Yes, both NPT and BSP

Hi Elco,
I’m sure you have been very busy with the software rewrite. I was wondering if there is any progress on the thermowell being available to buy? I will be ordering a brewpi (for Christmas??) if it is!
Thank you.

The longer wall mount sensor will be available in I think 1,5 week. Production will finish this week and then they’ll ship to me.

1 Like

Excellent. Thanks for the reply Elco.

The sensors are now available from the store :smile:

https://store.brewpi.com/temperature-control/temperature-sensors

Does the 60mm include the thread or is that the length of the probe section?

the diameter of the thread is around 20mm, so by the looks of it, I think its probe + thread = 60mm.

It is actually 60mm probe + 9 mm thread.