Upgrade to Spark 4

Yes the DS2408 boards

I see also there is also an option for 2 port or 10 port boards - I have never seen them for sale, are they going to be available to buy?

There’s some demand, so we may bring them back, but we designed the GPIO module to be a replacement that doesn’t suffer from their drawbacks.
If a onewire extension board loses connection, it can be left stuck open.

We’re considering how to either deal with this problem, or to make users sufficiently aware that they can install their own safeguards.

I like the idea of moving away from onewire, but do not know how I would wire up the new gpio module to drive the 5 wire ball valves. Can it be done?

Yes, the GPIO module can control valves. Do be aware that there’s an issue right now where inrush current causes the module to error out due to overcurrent. There’s a workaround with a resistor, and next patch will include a software fix.

Thanks Bob, do you have a diagram on how to wire these valves into the gpio module. I assume you would just wire the +ve to 8 pins - 2 modules - but not sure how the other 4 wire are configured.
Many thanks

Electric Ball Valve - Losing Power on GPIO Pin should be a useful reference, including discussion on how to work around overcurrent problems.