2017 - Water cooling w/ pump system for the fermentor

Hello everyone!

I am writing with question and request to list all the things I need to get to set up a cooling system for my fermentor through this water cooling system.
I also need some article or maybe you will be able to explain step by step what to do exactly, as I am just baffled by all of this and that will be my first time, setting something up like that.

Fermentor is a pressure controlled with tri-clamp space in the back for the thermometer. The cooling is under the main jacket.

Would be super grateful for any help or directions where to find info.

Kind Regards
Michal

Questions to answer:

• What’s going to pump your water?
  • What’s keeping your water at 2 degrees?
  • How are you going to measure the beer temperature?

Related questions:

• Does your glycol/water cooler have an internal thermostat? Can you keep it at 2 degrees for example?
  • Does the cooler already have a pump to circulate water?
  • Do you already have a way of connecting the water lines to the jacket?
  • Does your fementor have a thermowell?

Questions to answer:

What’s going to pump your water?
-The pump included in the chiller, the water will fill the jackets, and then pump through to cool it down.
What’s keeping your water at 2 degrees?
-internal cooling is set to be at around 2 degrees
How are you going to measure the beer temperature?
-triclamp temp sensor

Related questions:

Does your glycol/water cooler have an internal thermostat? Can you keep it at 2 degrees for example?

• I guess the temperature of the cooler is usually at around 2 degrees
    Does the cooler already have a pump to circulate water?
    -yes
    Do you already have a way of connecting the water lines to the jacket?
    -yes, its an easy fit as seen on the picture with lines coming out and then plugging on the bottom and the top of the jackets…
    Does your fementor have a thermowell?
    -it doesn’t, but it has the tri clamp spot to put the temp sensor

Many thanks
Michal

Looks like this would be very simple.
You will just need our Triclamp OneWire sensor, a 10A SSR for your pump and BrewPi Spark.

The Spark will turn the pump on and off based on the beer temp with PID. You’ll set the beer-to-fridge PID to all zeros and adjust the cooler PID to work for your setup (minimum cooling time, filters and PID parameters).

Do i still need a raspberry pi?

That sounds like an easy fix. Do I have to connect the 10a ssr to the from the cooler pump?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Michal

You need a web server. This could be a raspberry pi. If you can deploy a docker container elsewhere, you can do that too. If you want to keep it wired, a pi is a good option.

I could not make sense of that sentence. Assuming your pump is AC, the SSR will switch the live wire to the pump. The return wire will be left connected.

Thanks Elco!

What do I need to connect the spark to the ssr?

Michak

The connectors are included, so only some wire. If you don’t have some, we have it here:
https://store.brewpi.com/temperature-control/cables/flexible-2-wire-1mm2-cable