Anyone seen or tried Fuscus?

Came across this while waiting for some stock in the shop before I make the jump into Brewpi https://github.com/andrewerrington/fuscus

Wondering what peoples thoughts are on it?

I’ve run it on my bench at least. Seems to work just fine. Once it’s running you really can’t tell any difference.

The challenge I see with it is that it requires an RPi per chamber, where if you have an Arduino you can get them cheaper and use multiple with one Pi with some well-known hacks. For the person who has a Pi sitting idle and wants to jump in, this is a fine way to do it. If the Pi Zero were more readily available, that might be a good way to do it.

Of course, there’s the whole computer vs microcontroller debate WRT stability.

Hi there,

Thanks for posting about Fuscus here. I am the author, and I have deliberately avoided mentioning it here as I felt it was inappropriate.

It is not true that one Pi is required per chamber. Several copies of fuscus can run at the same time on a single Pi, each one reading a different group of sensors, and driving a different set of relays.

I’d be happy to answer any questions, but it might be better to continue the discussion on the homebrewtalk forum here:

Cheers!

1 Like

Thanks for commenting @ame
Didn’t realise there was a hbt post about it, will hop over there for some reading.
I think I will try and build a version of this this weekend :slight_smile:

I was not aware that you could multi-chamber it … I guess I short-changed it (and the Pi.)

I thought that the Arduino is being used for its PID?
Stefan

No. The PID is implemented in software, so it can be rewritten in any language to run on any hardware.