Arduino Shield Alternatives

That sounds fantastic.

Hopefully the next few runs of the photon are a little larger, as they appear to have sold out until May.

Ooop, just posted this question in the hardware forum, butā€¦ if thereā€™s any way of getting my paws on a shield as well, thatā€™ll fit in the case Iā€™m currently having lasered (at the cost of not five but TEN gallons of my IIPA!), Iā€™d love one. The thingā€™s a work of art, for FSMā€™s sake!

I mean, I love the BrewSpark - I really do - but canā€™t really justify spending the $200 or so it would cost, especially when I already have the Arduino, Pi, and LCD in my electronics box. (That said, when it incorporates continual gravity monitoring, Iā€™ll be all over it!)

has anyone tried setting up a fermentation fridge without the arduino?

Iā€™m new to RPi and Arduino as well but it seems that both the temp probes and the SSR can be connected to the Pi, so it seems like a matter of porting the PID algorithm along with the settings. Or am I missing something (other than the Arduino probably being a more stable platform)?

you answered your own question there. a question that has been brought up about a dozen times now.

Iā€™d love to get started with the BrewPi and hack around on software too. But I know itā€™ll be a while before you guys can get the next set of BrewPi Sparks out. Do you have a parts list and/or the shield file available that we can download and crank out ourselves? Or is your Nov. 14th post at https://community.particle.io/t/looking-for-feedback-on-brewing-shield-with-touchscreen/7203/42 the latest version? Thanks!

That is not the latest version, the latest version was made a week ago and the boards will be ready in 2 weeks.
The enclosures will be ready near the end of July unfortunately, but the new version will be available with or without enclosure.

I doubt you can have a PCB made and source all parts in 2 weeks. And it will probably cost you more than what I charge for a ready made board.

Ah cool! Iā€™m excited for it, thanks!

PCBs arrived, hand soldered one for testing and all tests passed. Production (soldering) starts Monday.

Here is a preview:

1 Like

The new brewpi sparks have 4 Actuator ports?
That will be awesome.

I had the board made by SeeedStudio Fusion https://www.seeedstudio.com/fusion_pcb.html (10 boards only $4.9 What a fantastic service that guy offers!!) I have 8 extra board, PM me if you want to get one.