Hi there! I’m new to the forum and trying to build a brewpi system using method 1 from the fridge hacking guide (leave the fridge in its original state, just use two powerswitch tails).
I hope that my questions and reflexions can be useful for other beginners too…
I already have:
- 70W / 220-240vac fridge
- Raspberry Pi Kit Raspberry Pi 3 model B
- BrewPi Spark v2 Brewing Temperature Controller
- 3 Waterproof OneWire Temperature Sensor (RJ11, DS18B20) (two for the beer in carboys or plastic buckets, one for the fridge ambiant temperature)
Now I’d like to add a tubular heater, two Powerswitch tails (one for the heater, one for the fridge) and two thermowells for the sensors.
Therefore, I have a few questions:
- Which powerswitch tails do I need? As I live in Switzerland where 220 Volts is the standard, I already figured out that I need two of those 240 vac kits but cannot tell the real difference between them. PowerSSR, zerocross or powerswitch?
- How do you connect the powerswitch tails to the brewpi spark? Simple wiring?
- I could connect all my 3 RJ11 temperature sensors directly to the brewpi spark. But that would mean that I would have to root all three sensors inside the fridge and I’d rather avoid that if possible. Is there any piece of technology (like a multisocket for RJ11) that would allow me to root a single wire from the spark to the inside of the fridge, where I would then connect all three sensors?
- I haven’t found any website that sells tubular heaters in continental Europe. I’m probably doing my research with the wrong keywords in French and German. Does someone have any website/shop/alternative to recommend?
- I plan to ferment in carboys and will therefore order some rubber bungs with two holes in it (one for the airlock, one for the thermowell). But I also want to ferment in regular plastic buckets. To be able to do that, I have the feeling that I’ll have to drill a second hole in the lid of my plastic fermentor and stuff the hole with a rubber lid grommet. Does anyone know where I could order that (don’t wanna order from the States and pay 40 bucks for a 49 cents item) or has an alternative suggestion?
- Any thermowells to recommend from a website in Europe? I’ve read different topics where the ones from brewers hardware were recommended but the shipping costs are probably high… What is your experience?
Sorry for the long story and looking forward to get your opinions… Cheers!