Brewblox != brewspark, or is it?

Soooo, maybe I’m just not getting it from the user guide, but what is the layout you should be setting up?
High-level.
I have the brewpi spark v3, I have the fridge, and a couple of sensors…
Configuring the spark without IP, is a no-go, at least I can’t figure it out.

I tried, just starting at the beginning install brewblox on my SynoNAS, but that keeps dropping the connection.

So, before I buy a raspberry board:
Do I need it, and should the spark somehow connect to that (brewblox) in a server-client relationship?
Or are they the same thing?

Again, maybe I’m reading it wrong, but I’m just not getting the picture…

You need both the Spark, and a server. The Raspberry Pi is a cheap way to get a server.

Your Spark controls sensors and actuators.
Your server can control multiple Sparks.
The UI is hosted on the server, and accessed with a browser.

I hope that answers your question. We also do support Synology NAS as server, but if that’s having connection problems, then getting a Pi is a good solution.

Right-O!
Off to the pricewatch it is.

Thx Bob :slight_smile:

Note that I run brewblox on my Synology.
A raspberry pi might be easier to work with, because the Synology has some quirks I’m how it handles docker and python.

But it is definitely a platform we will support and it will be more robust that the pi I think.

1 Like

@Elco I had indeed some issues with retrieving the required python package on the Synology nas, which wasn’t readily available from the developer.

Currently the new raspberry is running smoothly, as well as the (flashed) spark. The sensor directly plugged into the spark is working well.
Kudos to the engineers putting this together! Many software products in the field don’t deliver this kind of smooth update experience.

Next stop, soldering the 3 one wire sensors in the fridge.

(I suspect each sensor can be identified via an ID of some sorts, when they are plugged into 1 socket on the spark!?)

//JP

Yes, each physical OneWire sensor has a unique address. If you run a wizard, it will automatically detect all connected sensors.

Awesome.
Starting soldering the sensors into the M12 panel mount connectors now.