Brewblox release 2022/09/21

desiredSetting and setting should both exist on a setpoint block. Which of these are still available on your setpoints?

Could you please open the enclosure, and take a picture of the top connector block? You could also try switching to soft start 100Hz, but I indeed suspect that if they read a steady 1V, they’re indeed broken. I’ll need Elco to confirm it though.

The top 1 and top 2 pins use a different IO driver, one that is bidirectional, so they can also be used as input. I think the direction pin is not properly set, so hopefully it is a software bug that I can resolve tomorrow.

Please wait with that until I check that it is not software.

OK Setting magically appeared back in the list sometime while I was making dinner. Just a hunch, wondering if you have a timezone issue there. I’ve been working with industrial historians for 25 years, when something like that happens the very first thing I check is that there’s not a timezone issue somewhere in the system!

I did open the enclosure. I don’t see any issues mechanically, plus its all one header so losing 2 of 3 seems suspect.

Yep, this was a software bug and my mistake. Just created a PR and will release the fix soon.

1 Like

I’m glad you found it!

Pushed the hotfix for the top 1 / top 2 pin issue.

This also includes new Sequence instructions:

• WAIT: waits indefinitely until the user skips to the next instruction
  • WAIT_SETPOINT_ABOVE: Waits until setpoint value is greater than setpoint setting + precision.
  • WAIT_SETPOINT_BELOW: Waits until setpoint value is less than setpoint setting - precision.

That resolved my issue, thanks!

1 Like

Good morning
I have just run update again after problems with top pins 1 & 2 - Now I just get a blank screen and flashing red light on Spark 3. Any ideas

Have you flashed the firmware?

After a reset, could you please count the red blinks? There’s a pattern: Status LED and Device Modes - Photon | Troubleshooting | Particle

I decided to update during fermentation :frowning:

I have a Spark 2 controlling 2 mini fridges (kegerator and ferm chamber). Both seem to have lost stability.

The update was made today around noon.

Kegerator:

Ferm chamber:

It is worth mentioning that the Spark 2 struggled to download the bootloader through wifi.

I don’t know if this is just that the Brewpi unit lost its history but it’s definitely weird.

Could you please post the PID graphs for your cooler and heater? Those will also include the built-up integrator, which is reset during restarts (and thus updates).

Thanks for the quick answer, @Bob_Steers.

I realized what happened: bottom pins got inverted. The Spark 2 was cooling the keggerator instead of the ferm chamber.

For some reason, setting the Bottom 3 pin actuator actually changes Bottom 2. And by setting the Bottom 2 Pin you actually change the Bottom 1.

After removing all the blocks and running the fermentation Wizard several times and manually choosing the pin actuator I think I got everything sorted out again.

By the way: the heater actuator could be optional.

And when I said “manually choosing actuator” I meant “manually choosing the pins in an inverted way (changing bottom 2 to actually change bottom 1)”.

@Elco, that sounds like a off-by-one error somewhere in channel handling.

This happened to come up a few days ago as well. We agree, but we may want to roll it into a rework of various quick start wizards. Right now there’s a lot of code duplication and somewhat fragile configuration.

1 Like

Also realized that Bottom 4 pin is the 0 pin (Spark 2).

We just released a fix for the firmware + UI to rectify these issues.

Channels on the Spark 2 are now (left to right):

• bottom 0
  • bottom 1
  • bottom 2
  • bottom 3

This likely does mean you’ll need to switch your actuators again to undo your manual workaround.

Just updated both the UI and firmware.

Everything is working as expected now. The pins have the correct numbers and assigning them has the expected behavior.

(and I really had to undo the manual workaround)

Thank you @Bob_Steers.

2 Likes

Hi!
After doing a clean install of the new version I ran in some trouble…
In almost constantly get the message:

Unable to fetch Spark status: Error: timeout of 5000ms exedeed

What can I do? Thanks in advance for some help!

Did you also flash the spark over usb?
If you run the https version of the UI, doe you still have the issue?

Otherwise run brewblox-ctl log and share the output.