@bensheridan I haven't configured a VPN before and only used one once in the past. If I understand how it works correctly, once your device is connected to the VPN, it's as if your device is on your home network, right? If so, you could just use the BrewPi's static IP in the Host / IP setting in the app. I'll give it a try and confirm everything works as expected.
Regarding the status of the app, I think I'm just about at a stopping point until the API is released. I scaled back how ambitious I was, since I don't want to waste time, knowing the system is going to be rewritten. And if @Elco and crew are planning on building an app, there's really no point for me to duplicate their efforts. Once I get everything documented, I'll reach out to the few folks who were interested in testing.
Thus far, you can:
- View your chamber status, similar to the LCD on the web UI
- Select the mode (Beer Profile, Beer Constant, Fridge Constant, Off or Test)
- Select the Beer Profile (only existing profiles) or set the temperature for Beer or Fridge Constant Modes
- Adjust most of the settings available on the Advanced Settings tab in the web UI
- Display the current beer temperature as the app badge (although I'm considering removing this, as it only updates when you open the app anyway)