Cannot get script started

Thanks for the help, I now have it up and running. For reference the problem was the micro USB connection into the Spark. The cable supplied seemed to push up against the case meaning that whilst it was connected enough for the power pins it was not pushed in far enough for the data pins. I had to lever the socket up a bit as I connected the cable to get the correct connection and it then solved the issues with the script.

Just got to set up the sensors etc and I can get a test on the go with some water.

I also had issues with the script unable to find my core on ACM0 or ACM1, and the WebUI would also display unable to detect version of board. It turned out to be a crappy 12v power supply. Once I changed this over it all sprung into life. I will be wiring up the SSR’s and sensors in the next few hours and hopefully start a water test run.

I has similar issues today, which ended up with me running a fresh install from noobs running RPI updates etc and then ran brewpi automatic install, answering yes to all.

once the Arduino was plugged in it wouldn’t allow me to start script, and when i tried to reprogramme the arduino it pulled up these two errors.

BrewPi requires pyserial 2.7, you have version 2.5 installed.
Please upgrade pyserial via pip, by running:
sudo pip install pyserial --upgrade
If you do not have pip installed, install it with:
sudo apt-get install build-essential python-dev python-pip

Your version of pstuil is 0.5.0
BrewPi requires psutil 2.0 or higher, please upgrade your version of psutil.
This can best be done via pip, please run:
sudo apt-get install build-essential python-dev python-pip
sudo pip install psutil --upgrade

having installed these two options it now seems to work, but interestingly when i ran them before a clean install it flagged up some issues with Apache and a load of other files.

it works now so all is OK for me, but anyone else having issues updating those to files seemed to help me.

I will modify the installer to use pip for installing the packages, just built in these warnings first with instructions to fix.

I am also having trouble getting the script started on my second brewpi with spark. I have attached a picture of what the web interface shows. Thanks!

Looks like that’s not the only issue. Please check the javascript console (F12) for errors.
Is this an unmodified install of BrewPi?

Elco - I just used Firefox this time to open the web application and all is working. My previous install of an on older brew pi displays in Safari correctly. Is there a preferred browser?

Safari - Older Brew Pi Software

Firefox - New Brew Pi Software

I’m working to update two separate brewpi/ spark units after I had the scared on one get corrupted with an fs ext4 type error. Whenever I plugged in the USB from the spark controller to the rpi usb port it would reset the rpi.

Yesterday, on the one good image I ran the updater.py script answering yes to all questions. I have had intermittent success in getting the script to run, most often not getting the temp readings to appear at the top of the web UI. I have a couple times and was able to get the unit to recognize 3 one wire connections and assign them to Log1, 2, 3 respectively.

I am not using the brewpi units to control heating or cooling at this point, just monitoring and reporting so there are no ‘external’ issues.

I can’t seem to get the scripts to run correctly. Clicking on the maintenance panel works but clicking the start script does nothing.

On the ‘bad’ image I re-imaged the sd card from an old image, ran the updater script and based on some suggestions in the forums also ran apt-get --update and apt-get upgrade. That image now seems to be running fine. All three one-wire connections are responding with valid data and one or two reboots of the rpi has not impacted this.

Tonight, on the ‘good’ image noted above I ran the apt-get update & upgrade scripts.

On the good image I’ve checked that the pyserial is 2.7. The firmware is updated to 5.2
ON the ‘bad’ image redone, I have checked that pyserial is 2.7 and the firmware on the controller is also 5.2

I am logging into the web UI using Safari.

Based on the steps I’ve followed although not in the same sequence, both units should be the same. One setup works fine (the ‘good’ unit) but the other does not (corrupted sd card re-imaged and upgraded).

Suggestions on what to check?

Using the older version on both units I had no issues and a screen that mirrored the first image posted by s65m3. The ‘bad’ setup after all software changes looks like the 2nd image. The ‘good’ setup after all changes shows a graph based on data that was initially recorded but I can’t get to record new data and the readings are not appearing in the ‘header’ section.

Going to the maintenance panel and clicking the refresh device list returns the message ‘SyntaxError: JSON Parse error: Unexpected identifier “Couldn”’

Thet last error is just “Couldn’t connect to script” which cannot be parsed as JSON.

It would be helpful to know if there are errors in the JavaScript console (F12).

I also recommend using Docker to install now, as described on our Wiki. This will also make it easier to deploy a new image or to run multiple brewpi servers from one pi.

Also check the log files for an error.

s65m3 - I also got the same screen after moving to Docker. Tried different browsers (chrome, explorer, mobile chrome) as well but not firefox. This resulted in a lot of troubles for me and a complete reinstallation whith the result of brewpi currently not working.

Brewbot - I have not upgraded to docker as I could not get the WiFi to work on the OS. I am currently running an older version of Rasparian that I knew worked. (Build from March 2016) I am still have trouble with room temp being set as templog1. On the spark it displays the room temp but in the web interface it will not display. It is installed properly and it will read the temperate in device settings. Not overly worried about since the chamber and beer temps are working properly now.

I also have the same problem and image in my web interface.
Recently I had to reinstall Raspbian on my Pi B+ Raspberry (an older version also because in the last one the wifi connection doesn’t work).
Apparently everything is correctly installed again and the BrewPi Spark v2 has been updated and all the devices are working…
Any idea how to fix that?