Development Update?

Sorry, I was a bit unclear. I was answering from my phone.

spark:
    image: brewblox/brewblox-devcon-spark:rpi-develop
    privileged: true
    depends_on:
      - eventbus
      - datastore
    restart: unless-stopped
    labels:
      - "traefik.port=5000"
      - "traefik.frontend.rule=PathPrefix: /spark"
    command: >
      --device-host=192.168.1.58

For more than one spark, use unique names (at 3 places per service).

spark1:
    depends_on:
      - eventbus
      - datastore
    labels:
      - "traefik.port=5000"
      - "traefik.frontend.rule=PathPrefix: /spark1"
      --name=spark1
      --device-host=192.168.1.58

spark2:
    depends_on:
      - eventbus
      - datastore
    labels:
      - "traefik.port=5000"
      - "traefik.frontend.rule=PathPrefix: /spark2"
      --name=spark2
      --device-host=192.168.1.59

Besides of --device-host, the service also supports --device-id=123456789012345678901234, where the ID is the unique ID of your Photon/P1, which can be found in the Spark widget.

--device-host sets to connect to a fixed IP, so set up a static lease in your router. If you provide only the device ID, it will try to find the Spark on USB or using mDNS network discovery.

Please note the > after command

Wouderful, that’s got it sorted.

Thanks for your help @Elco

Hi everyone, I am very much a newbie (and sympathise 100% with those who struggle with the BrewPi). I am looking for the link to download the new software, as I understand it would allow my Spark v2 to work wirelessly. I have moved houses and can no longer use an ethernet cable as the fridge is in the shed and doesn’t receive wifi signal. I am on the cusp of selling my Spark, because I find it so difficult to work out what I should be doing. Before I buy a wifi repeater, I want to make sure that I can successfully get the Spark to work with wifi.

If anyone can please point me in the direction of the following, I would be very grateful:

• link to new software
  • refresher on how to update it (I took the SD card out of the RaspberryPi and put it in my laptop? then what? Am also concerned as laptop is telling me the SD card might be corrupted)

Many thanks in advance.

Btw @OxfordRich - In case you see this, I live in North Oxford. Are you nearby?

@WaldbaldAle Hi - I’m about as far south as you can get in Oxfordshire.

The new BrewBlox software is not ready for release yet, and is monstrously complicated, especially for a simple 1 fermenting fridge setup. I would urge you to stick with the current version and shift your questions here into a new topic for more help. (Windows reporting the card is corrupt is normal, as parts of it are in an unknown format. You can get the existing version of BrewPi to communicate by wifi with the spark, I intend to do so for my own setup soon)

To use WiFi on BrewPi (not BrewBlox), you will just need to update the firmware on the Spark to the latest version. You don’t need BrewBlox to get WiFi.

If you previous setup was with docker, connect the Spark with USB and run:

docker stop brewpi; docker rm brewpi
docker pull brewpi/brewpi-raspbian
docker run -it --name brewpi-dfu --privileged -v ~/brewpi-data:/data --rm brewpi/brewpi-raspbian python utils/flashDfu.py --trigger
docker run -it --name brewpi-dfu --privileged -v ~/brewpi-data:/data --rm brewpi/brewpi-raspbian python utils/flashDfu.py --noreset

Your Spark will now be blinking blue. Use the Particle app on your phone to set up WiFi.

Then start a fresh brewpi container again:

docker run -d --name brewpi -p 80:80 -v ~/brewpi-data:/data -v /etc/timezone:/etc/timezone -v /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime --restart always brewpi/brewpi-raspbian

If you were not running with docker, the instructions the docker version of brewpi are here:
https://wiki.brewpi.com/getting-started/raspberry-pi-docker-install

@OxfordRich Yep, reducing the complexity is our major challenge. The BrewBlox stack gives the user freedom to set up almost anything, so it is hard to make it simple.
We’re planning to create wizards to set up common configurations, which will hopefully make it a lot easier to use. BrewPi was also complex, but that was hidden not configurable.

Just followed the install procedure and updated to brewblox, no problems whatsoever and it looks good. The only thing that doesn’t work for me is the process view with the following issues:

• The block itself can’t be deleted
  • The trashcan symbol removes all blocks
  • There aren’t too many building blocks to choose from and you can’t assign any logic (guessing this is in the backlog)
  • After a few drag-n-drops it stops showing the building blocks and reverts to some numbers, e.g. 10.2.

The process view widget is still under construction in an early stage. It is not in a usable state yet.

Add the Beer PID and load the preset for “Fridge setpoint driver”.

Trying to follow your instructions for recreating the BrewPi setup, @Elco. But I don’t seem to have a pre-set for “Fridge Setpoint Driver” in the PID. Closest is HLT Setpoint Driver is the Fridge Setpoint Driver preset different?

Thanks, btw. The setup is a little slow having to create all the blocks individually. But it’s a fantastic piece of software and I love being able to see what everything is doing individually and drill down.

Yes, that’s an error. You can take the HLT setpoint driver, but tweak the PID settings.
I suggest a Kp of 5, Ti of 2h and Td 0 to start.

We have plans for process templates that create most of the blocks for you. We’re aware that this is one of the biggest missing pieces and are working on adding it.

2 Likes

Just released new changes to edge:

• Improved wizards for services / dashboards / widgets.
  • Added a new type of wizard: arrangements. These wizards create and configure multiple services / dashboards / widgets.
  • Added the “Classic BrewPi” wizard. This creates a dashboard + widgets for the BrewPi fridge configuration.
  • All modals consistently refuse to close when the user clicks the background.
  • Graphs now support multiple Y axes. Each value can be configured to use either the left or the right Y axis. Both Y axes will scale independently.
  • Fixed a bug where widgets cached in the browser would be recreated if they were deleted on the back end.
  • Widgets on dashboards can now be pinned to an X/Y position. This allows creating a fixed layout for dashboards.
  • When editing dashboards, you can now access the widget menu with a button (used to be long press).
  • Added a toolbar to the block relations diagram.
  • Setpoint Profile now displays a vertical line at current time.

For developers:

• Due to the recent acquisition and mass redundancies at Travis, we have migrated our CI to Azure Pipelines. This includes the example configuration in brewblox-boilerplate. If you have any questions about setting up a CI pipeline, feel free to drop us a message.
3 Likes

Great news!
I have been using Brewpi 0.5.10 with the spark 3.
Im a bit of a noob in all these stuff but atleast managed to get the spark going.
Is there a similiar wiki page for Brewblox as it were for brewpi?
Can someone please provide me a link to the latest up to date brewblox version?

Thanks in advance

https://brewblox.netlify.com/ has instructions on how to set up and configure BrewBlox.

So this just creates the typical fermentation fridge profile (standard fridge, tube heater and fv vessel - think you got rid of the ambient sensor but I could be wrong)?
Can this also be duplicated or run again to run a second fridge (fermentation or kegerator)?
Thinking about making the jump to have a play around with it.

Yes. Run it again with a new name and input/output pins, and it’ll work fine.

There indeed is no ambient sensor, but assuming you’re not using it as input for a SSPair / PID, this is trivial to add yourself.

1 Like

Great!
Thank you so much for your fast response, saved my weekend!

@Bob_Steers, love the wizards, except that the new arrangements wizard does not allow you to select DS2413 actuators only the directly attached PIN’s. (unless I’m missing something).

That’s correct. For now you can choose to initially connect the arrangement to actuator pins, and then manually insert DS2413 actuators in the configuration. DS2413 chips are discovered, actuators must be created.

We are working on identifying the most common configurations, and creating wizards for them.

Thanks @Bob_Steers have done as suggeted and added with pin actuators then swapped them out for the DS2413 actuators.