DS18B20 defect brings 1-wire bus down

Hi all,

I am using wall mounted onewire sensor in my brew setup. I have 4 DS18B20 in summary, but last time I wanted to brew, I realized that due to one sensor, the whole 1-wire bus goes down - which means no devices can be found in /sys/bus/1-wire/ …

Now, I measured 47 ohms between ground and signal line on the defectouos sensor. On my other sensors, I measure “infinite” resistance between signal and ground.

What would be the best way to open wall mounted sensora and check the sensor itself?

Yes this is a major downside of onewire sensors. The sensors are glued inside with epoxy, they are not designed to be easily opened.

I am going to change the design to use a separate sensor and a thermowell instead. If you can get the sensor out, you can probably do the same. Keep the stainless tube and insert a new sensor.

Unfortunately, I destroyed the plastic part of the sensor. Is it possible to buy it somewhere and what is the name of the connector?

Also, I believe I will have drill the content of the hole where the sensor seats. How deep is this hole? Till the very end of the probe or maybe till the part where the probe gets thinner?

You wouldn’t need the plastic part, just use it as a thermowell with a normal sensor with its own cable.

Drilling will be near impossible, the hole is up to the end and the smaller part has a wall thickness of only 0.5mm. Twisting and pulling, perhaps with some heat applied if without doesn’t work.

You wouldn’t need the plastic part, just use it as a thermowell with a normal sensor with its own cable.

I would prefer to have the plastic part since it is more flexible. Do you have them and could you send one to me in my next purchase?

Drilling will be near impossible, the hole is up to the end and the smaller part has a wall thickness of only 0.5mm. Twisting and pulling, perhaps with some heat applied if without doesn’t work.

At the end I used a drill and destroyed everything on its way. I can’t check at the moment, but can TO-22- package fit in this hole?

They are standard M16 connectors, very common, but I don’t have them in stock because my supplier assembles the sensors and ships them complete.

The hole is 5mm diameter, which is just wide enough to fit a bare DS18B20 package.

I couldn’t find them. Do you have any additional information such as manufacturer?

They are indeed harder to find than I thought!

This seems like the right part, but I can not find it in single quantity:

Any connector that would fit inside a 16mm hole would work though.