Fermentation fridge - PID settings

Hey guys. Just finished converting my fridge to be controlled by brewblox a few days ago. I used the wizard and connected it to SSR’s that control fridge compressor and heater. It’s really fun to see it all working. I’m using the default PID settings right now and it seems to be working fine. Just wondering if I should adjust the PID settings more, or if this looks good based on your experience with this kind of application. This is just a test with 30L of water.

graph-Ferment Graph-spark-one-downsample_1m.csv (80.1 KB)

2 Likes

It looks like there’s a ~0.3*C error in beer temp. Best achievable for the system is ~0.05*C. Beyond that, you run out of temp sensor resolution.

It’s definitely not bad, so kind of up to you whether this is good enough, or you’d rather tinker with it until it’s perfect. In the latter case, could you please post the graph for the Cool PID block?

Ok so it can be even better :slight_smile:

graph-Ferment Cool PID-spark-one-downsample_1m (1).csv (33.2 KB)

Currently, P and D are mostly in charge of output. During steady state you want the I portion to counteract losses to the environment.

Here, you can try reducing Kp somewhat. This should decrease P, and give the I time to build. If that only increases temp error, we’ll have to take a step back, and first tune step response.

Ok I’ve lowered Kp on both PID’s and done a step change in setpoint. We’ll see how it turns out

It’s really hard to judge without a step response.
A step of 2 degrees down and 2 degrees up will give us the information needed.

I would set Td to zero for that. Then aim for a little bit of overshoot by adjusting Kp. Afterwards increase Td a bit to get rid of the overshoot. The ballpark estimate for Td is the duration of the overshoot.

Keep Ti at 6 hours.

Ok cool, I will try that

Ok, here is the trend from the step response.

graph-Ferment Graph-spark-one-downsample_1m (1).csv (89.6 KB)
graph-Ferment Cool PID-spark-one-downsample_1m (2).csv (195.3 KB)
graph-Ferment Heat PID-spark-one-downsample_1m.csv (197.6 KB)

Can you share screenshots of the PID graphs?
The cool PID for the step down and the heat PID for the step up?

Sure. I started a step down approx 18:00 last night, and step up 06:00 this morning.
Cool PID:

Heat PID:

Can you make another screenshot zoomed in vertically? Just cut off the highest peaks.

Is this ok, do you wan’t more zoomed without timestamp at bottom
Cool pid:

Heat pid:

oops 1 sec, I will try to zoom more on the trend before screenshot

See if these are better:

Cool pid:

Heat pid:

Ferment graph:

Thanks, that helps.

From the bottom graph, it seems clear that the fridge temperature rises or falls quickly, and that energy eventually transfers to the beer.
I think that’s your main source of overshoot. You see that once the fridge temperature crosses the beer temperature, the beer temperature reverses.

The simplest fix for this is to just lower Kp so the heating/cooling is more gentle and the fridge temperature doesn’t run away as much.

Another option is to have a low-speed fan in the fridge. But it will also generate a bit of heat, so make sure it is a low-power fan. Not much is needed.

A third option is to go to a more advanced and more complex control scheme, where the fridge temperature is actively managed and the beer temperature indirectly sets the fridge setpoint.
This is described here:

This is more complex though, so if a lower Kp is enough I would try that first.

Thanks, I can try half the Kp I had.
So for heating PID I will change from 80 to 40 and for cooling pid from -30 to -15.

There is an built in fan in the fridge. Right now it runs all the time as long as fridge temp is above 2 degC.

I tried the third option where beer temp indirectly sets the fridge setpoint. So far it’s working great, I’m pretty happy with the result. Looking forward to test it for real. Brew day tomorrow :slightly_smiling_face:

Indeed, that looks very nice! Well done.