Firmware update issue

I had everything working for a while last year and then it sat. Long story short, I tried to updated everything today and my Spark 2 now has a white screen after updating the firmware.

When I try to update the boot loader, it fails
pi@brewblox:~/brewblox$ brewblox-ctl particle -c flash-bootloader
Please press ENTER when your Spark is connected over USB
INFO Pulling flasher image…
edge: Pulling from brewblox/firmware-flasher
Digest: sha256:493323d548b6ce2e6a7727db8a394a1d455e27864bed3ac1e4e9a86eca9e1a72
Status: Image is up to date for brewblox/firmware-flasher:edge
docker.io/brewblox/firmware-flasher:edge
INFO Stopping services…
Removing network brewblox_default
WARNING: Network brewblox_default not found.
INFO Starting Particle image…
INFO Type ‘exit’ and press enter to exit the shell
Flashing Photon bootloader…
Done.
Error writing firmware: Timed out waiting for initial response from device
Command ‘docker run -it --rm --privileged -v /dev:/dev brewblox/firmware-flasher:edge flash-bootloader’ returned non-zero exit status 1

It also seems to loop during discovery. I have power cycled and even reinstalled everything
Screen Shot 2020-07-04 at 1.54.53 PM

The bootloader is flashed, the error is from the restart command we send after.

You can now run brewblox-ctl flash to update the firmware. After that it should be visible in the UI.

I have tried that a number of times and it still shows the same issue - and the white screen (not the 6 cells that it previously had)

The flash command does complete properly, however

pi@brewblox:~/brewblox$ brewblox-ctl flash
Please press ENTER when your Spark is connected over USB
INFO Pulling flasher image…
edge: Pulling from brewblox/firmware-flasher
Digest: sha256:493323d548b6ce2e6a7727db8a394a1d455e27864bed3ac1e4e9a86eca9e1a72
Status: Image is up to date for brewblox/firmware-flasher:edge
docker.io/brewblox/firmware-flasher:edge
INFO Stopping services…
Removing network brewblox_default
WARNING: Network brewblox_default not found.
INFO Flashing Spark…
Triggering dfu on port /dev/serial/by-id/usb-Particle_Photon_320022000351353530373132-if00
Flashing Photon…
Flashing System 1 file…

Flash success!
Flashing System 2 file…

Flash success!
Flashing Firmware file…

Flash success!

Any other suggestions on what to try? I just goes to the white screen on power on.

White screen is typically an indicator of a missing bootloader.

After re-reading your post, it indeed looks like bootloader flash failed.
You can try manually setting the device to safe mode before flashing the bootloader: https://community.particle.io/t/safe-mode-explained/26259.

1 Like

That got me started on the right track. I ended up having to get the app on my phone and once I was able to configure the Photon to be connected to my wifi and phone, everything started to work again. Thanks for your help.

Hi - I too am having the same issue with the white screen and unable to update the boot loader.

I did put the device (spark 2) into safe mode but now it is unable to recognise this over USB. Any ideas?

The first step would be to try again with other USB cables. It’s not uncommon for them to malfunction. The fastest way to check is lsusb. A Spark 2 has VID:PID 2b04:c006.

If you get a working cable, then run the bootloader and firmware commands again.

If that doesn’t work, please take an up-close photo of the USB connector component on the board. They are a known weak point in the Spark 2.

Thanks for the quick reply Bob - The USB is recognised when out of safe mode

Bus 001 Device 066: ID 2b04:d006 Particle Photon DFU Mode
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:ec00 Microchip Technology, Inc. (formerly SMSC) SMSC9512/9514 Fast Ethernet Adapter
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:9514 Microchip Technology, Inc. (formerly SMSC) SMC9514 Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

It appears I cannot get it to safe mode - only DFU mode when blinking yellow. When I release the service button on magneta it just goes back to blinking blue again. I have tried releasing it immediately when changing or waiting another second to no avail.

I dont know how to get round this?

Why do you want to get it to safe mode? It’s not required for firmware updates.

I was not able to install the bootloader, it failed on several attempts as per the OP with a timeout error.

I have since attempted again where it seems to now have worked.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

1 Like