Hardware Shopping List (Beginner)

I am about to purchase the hardware to setup a brewpi and wanted to ensure I am getting everything that is needed. I read a post from 2015 that covered it but was concerned things might have changed.

I am using a mini fridge with a BrewBucket as my fermentation device which already has a thermowell with 6.5mm ID. I will be using method 1 from the fridge hacking guide (switched power cord) for the cooling function and a project box to hold the SSR / outlet that powers a 200w heater and an always on fan. I want to use the pot magnets to attach the spark to the door.

Non BrewPi Purchases:
Rasp Pi 3 Model B

BrewPi Purchases:
BrewPi Spark V2 w/enclosure and Photon
Waterproof Onewire Temp Sensor (QTY 3)
Solid State Relay (SSR), 10A (QTY 2)

Some questions that might lead to additional hardware:

1. Can I use the second outlet on the SSR (heating) to drive the fan? I understand this SSR will be set to heating in BrewPi but it is driving the entire outlet.

2. Are heat sinks required for the SSRs (Hacking guide uses one but says that is because of the 40A SSR and using it for mashing as well)? If so what model is recommended?

3. The fridge hacking guide shows detachable temperature sensors for use inside the fridge (M12 panel mount connectors), is this possible with the Spark V2 or do those only work with the Arduino? If so what additional equipment is required besides the connectors and the sensor? I am understanding it just splits the 3m cable in two and the connector joins them together so you have a clean install.

4. What additional components are required if I want to add a second mini fridge/chamber in the future and what can be dual tasked? Do I need a second BrewPi Spark V2?

5. If I purchase a PowerSwitch Tail 2 instead of wiring up one, which model do I need, the normally open or normally closed? Do I need anything else to wire it to the digital input connection of the Spark V2?

Thanks for the assistance in advance and if you see my ideas going in the wrong direction or there is an easier way please let me know.

Thanks,
Jeff

1. Can I use the second outlet on the SSR (heating) to drive the fan? I understand this SSR will be set to heating in BrewPi but it is driving the entire outlet.

I’m not sure what you mean by “second outlet” but yes you can run two devices off the same SSR if you want the powered at the same time. You can also buy a third SSR and use that solely for the fan as there is an option for that in BrewPi.

1. Are heat sinks required for the SSRs (Hacking guide uses one but says that is because of the 40A SSR and using it for mashing as well)? If so what model is recommended?

No, unless you are pulling a lot of power, like you would with a kettle element.

1. The fridge hacking guide shows detachable temperature sensors for use inside the fridge (M12 panel mount connectors), is this possible with the Spark V2 or do those only work with the Arduino? If so what additional equipment is required besides the connectors and the sensor? I am understanding it just splits the 3m cable in two and the connector joins them together so you have a clean install.

This would work the same way it does as in the guide. You are correct in your assumption.

1. If I purchase a PowerSwitch Tail 2 instead of wiring up one, which model do I need, the normally open or normally closed? Do I need anything else to wire it to the digital input connection of the Spark V2?

Normally open, so when no current is applied the switch is open. You would wire it up the same way you do a SSR.

Great answers cambam,

To add to this:

1. You can use this panel mount RJ12 feed through (no soldering required):
    https://store.brewpi.com/rj12-panel-mount-coupler
    I’m adding RJ12 cables to the store tomorrow for going from the Spark to the panel connector.

2. In the future, you will be able the control a second fridge with the same Spark. The software is not ready for this yet, but it will be in a few months. You’ll probably want an SSR expansion board, so you can use that in the second fridge as a central point to connect SSRs and temp sensors.