I rushed a heater purchase and I'm stuck

So I was getting everything I needed to get my chamber going. I’ve got everything installed and operating except a heater. I was in a rush and ordered a 60W tube heater… I didn’t think about the voltage and it came with a 240V plug. Now, I rent so I can’t put an outlet in for 240, and I can’t find a 120V tube heater to save my life. Is there ANY way to rewire the 240 plug to use 120? I’d much rather use this heater I spent a good chunk of money on and not have to buy reptile cord or something else. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

You can put a 120V plug on it but it will only be 30W.

Would that be enough to use as my heater?

Probably a little on the low side. What size is your chamber and what is the room temperature like where you are? In my experience where I live in New Zealand the heater is hardly required.

It’s a 7.1 cu freezer in my basement which is roughly mid to upper 50s in the winter. (f)

That’s not too cold so you might be ok with 30W. You can always wire it up and replace it with a 120V 60W heater in the future.

That’s the issue. I can’t find any 120v tube heaters. I don’t want to go with anything other than a tube or the reptile wire if need be.

My under standing of these things, rewiring it will work but as mentioned will be 30w. The freezer contains heat or cold well, so it will work, but the time to bring up temps will be slower, once its at the right temp though it should keep it ok. There is probably some maths wizz who knows the exact calculations for that.
But you can always test, so its not all that cold now maybe, but stick in a bucket of water and try and get it up to say 90F or something silly and see what happens. If it works, profit, if not, time to look for another heater maybe?

Actually, your calculations are wrong.
Assuming that the heater is just a resistor, the current will also be halve due to the lower voltage.
Given that the resistance does not change, the power would be P = U * I = U^2 / R, so the heater will be 15W on 110V.

correct @Elco! My mistake.

You can use a transformer to step up the voltage from 120 to 230 V. Just make sure the transformer can handle the required power.
BR

Do what I do, put a 60 watt light fixture in the fridge and leave it on all the time when it is very cold. The controller and fridge will compensate and work on the cooling cycle without any problems. If it won’t warm up enough, put in a higher wattage bulb. Not the most efficient but it works well when only intermittent heating is required in the winter.

I have used a light bulb as a heater in the past. Just make sure you have a safe fitting so it doesn’t touch the walls. Some people use a paint can to put it inside.

1 Like

I use a ceramic reptile heater that screws into a light fixture. No need for a paint can. Just a few items from the local hardware store to make the fixture and you’re good to go. I use a 60W heater in my 5.1cuft chest freezer and it works great. Here is a similar one: https://www.amazon.com/Pecute-Ceramic-Emitter-Reptile-Brooder/dp/B00ORM0JK8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1488246133&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=ceramic+reptile+heater&psc=1

Id be too concerned that it is a potential fire hazard.

It’s just a piece of ceramic that gets warm to warm up your lizards and snakes. It is meant to be put in an animal atrium with living things and bedding. It’s not going to be any more of a fire hazard than any other heating element you put in there. The only real difference between this and a regular lightbulb is it doesn’t emit light, so there’s no need for a paint can.

I’ve been using the 60W bulb for a while and so far my beer has not caught on fire yet. :smiley: