Internet access (port 81)

I’d like to access my BrewPi from outside my local wifi network.
I see that now it is possible with Username/Password protection on port 81 (Docker edition).
Unfortunately I’ve a busy local network, where 80,81,82,83 ports are already taken.

Is there a way to connect through another (possibly arbitrary) port?

You can change the port of the host machine that is forwarded to port 81 if the docker container by changing -p 81:81 to for example -p 8081:81.

Additionally, when you set up port forwarding on your router you can probably freely choose which public port is mapped to a certain machine and port.

Alcal, the more secure way is to set up a VPN to your home network. That way you don’t need to open a port to the outside world. Most routers/modems these days support OpenVPN and it’s not too hard to set up. That’s how I access my BrewPi when I’m away.

Thank you, it’s a good idea.
Unfortunately my router is property of my Internet provider and currently it doesn’t support VPN, however this may change soon

Thank you Elco, I’ll check both solutions you suggested

@Bob_Steers

What is the procedure to access the brewblox web interface externally using port forwarding like the original brewpi interface?

Unfortunately, password protected access is still on the to-do list, so we strongly advise against directly port-forwarding brewblox in your router.

There are some alternative approaches to safely access devices on a local network (brewblox) externally.

You can set up a VPN in either your router, or some other computer in your home network. Make it accessible (with password/auth protection) from the internet. Instructions here are very dependent on which VPN application you want to be using.

You can use an SSH tunnel.

• In your router, forward a port to your Pi port 22
    • Don’t use port 22 externally, but some high number. I normally pick something in the 8 000 - 20 000 range.
    • Make sure you changed the password on the Pi.
  • https://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~xuanluo/sshproxywin.html seems like a decent guide on how to set up and use the tunnel on the client side. It’s based on Putty.