Brewing a Kolsch that’s a bit on the heavy side (OG=1.055) using a two-stage fermentation profile, pure O2 aeration @ 68 deg. F., and 1800ml starter (160 billion cells est.)
Since the WY-2565 seems to hold true to the claim of low/no diacetyl production, I’ve skipped the temp ramp for the diacetyl rest.
I haven’t built-in any ramp-time between the stages or the cold-crash.
Wondering if I should be doing the secondary conditioning at a higher temp rather than lower.
Also, was impatient and pitched at 68 deg, rather than putting everything in the fridge and stabilizing at my starting temp (65 deg. F.) before pitching.
It’s been two days and krausen has risen and fallen already, blow-off bucket is a happy mess.
Any advise or suggestions?
Slow ramp down during 14-day primary from 65-58 deg. F.
Rack to secondary
A week of additional conditioning, ramping from 51-40 deg. F.
Two weeks of cold-crash with gelatin and polyclar around day 30
Keg at day 35 and carb to 2.8 vols
Condition as long as I can stand to wait.