Need advice for IPA profile

I need some help with my profile for an IPA (using Whitelab WL001 yeast): I started with 24°C to get the fermentation started, then lowered to 21°C. At the moment it looks like the fermentation is coming to an end (Gravity 2.5°P). Now do i want to cold crash or not? The beer will be go into bottles after the fermenter vat.

Thanks for your help.

For an IPA, where you want your hops to shine and do not want the yeast to produce much flavor, I would go lower next time. Listen for the bubble rate and if it is bubbling quickly, lower your temperature. Then near the end of the brew when the bubble rate slows down, raise the temperature again to keep fermentation going up to the upper temp tolerance of the yeast, which will end in a nice diacetyl rest :slight_smile:

But you are using a pretty clean yeast (as far as I have heard, not used it myself), so maybe this is not really necessary.

A cold crash is always good and will help clean up the beer.

1 Like

Thanks Elco. Will try that next time!

I usually do my IPA’s with WPL001 at 68F (20C) degrees. Normally my primary fermentation is done within 5 to 7 days. I then take a gravity (brix) reading and do another reading 2 to 3 days later and if nothing has changed I know the yeast are finished finished. Once fermentation has completely finished I let the yeast clean up for a few days to a week, depending on the gravity. With a higher gravity beer or DIPA, it’s best to wait longer and allow the yeast do clean up. All in all it’s about 2 to 3 weeks. I then drop my temp to 50/60 degrees for a couple days before transferring to the secondary. This helps drop some yeast out of suspension. Once in the secondary I’ll bring the temp to 70F (21.111 °C) degrees and dry hop. I have found a shorter dry hop period is better than longer. So for me I dry hop for 3 days instead of 5 or even 10 like some. You’ll figure out quickly what you like best.

I keg my beer and a few days before I drop the temp to 32/33F (0.222 °C) and use gelatin to help clarify the beer. There’s a good article on how to use gelatin @ Bertus Brewery. He’s has some great tips and recipes.

1 Like

Thanks Peter,

do you change the temp for the “cleaning up” time or happens that also at 20°C?

Normally I leave the temp the same, but my current IPA which just went through fermentation I raised the temp to 70F degrees after the first 5 days. I don’t know how this will affect the beer and it may not at all. Time will tell. I’m actually doing 2 beers at once this way, so should be interesting.

If you’re yeast stater (at high krausen) and wort are at the same temp, I’ve had that yeast start fermentation in as little as 6 hours and be done in 2 days. Normally I see activity within 12 to 24 hours.