Nothing fancy, but Brewpi works!

First let me say, I do not have any experience in using a raspberry pi or arduino. I have never tried to use or write code, python to me, was not a type of code, but only a species of snake. I am more of a hands on DIY builder, not so much computer related.

Thanks to everyone here and others on homebrew talk, I was able to start piecing things together and wrapping my head around the brewpi. I loved the concept and functionality of brewpi, controlling your fermentation with such tight parameters had me smiling like a kid in a candy store. :yum:

Again, nothing fancy, but here is my build on the current 18 cuft fermentation fridge I had been using.

As of this point, I am not using any type of heater in the fridge, mostly due to the hot Florida weather right now and the fridge is in my garage. I do have everything wired to add a heater later on this year.

One mod I made to my fridge, even before the brewpi addition was a 12v fan that runs constantly. It pushes the air down from the freezer into the fridge with a vent on the right side to let the air back into the freezer.

Bench testing and final wiring after cases arrived.

Final resting place on the side of the fridge. Mounted the project box to a piece of wood with magnets to hold it to the fridge.

This project box houses my 2 channel relay and I used a terminal block to connect my temp sensor wiring. The grey wire goes into the fridge where the sensors are all tied together.

First brew with the brewpi! Couldn’t be happier with the results. Worst deviation was 0.09 degrees! Much better than any other controller!

Went ahead and started batch 2. The PID adjusted even more and after 10 days fermenting this batch, worse deviation is only 0.06 degrees.

A sincere thank you to each and every one of you who contribute and help people like me understand this new “language” and be able to have such a good time learning! This project has to be my favorite thus far, and I’ve built some pretty cool stuff… :smile:

I never would have thought I would be able to build anything like this, again, I can not say thank you enough.

4 Likes