Peachy US05 Profile

Hi guys,

Just wanted to share a temperature profile I’m working on for an IPA using US05:

Here are the steps, in details:

1. start at 20° to help yeast reproduce during a few hours (I pitch without starter)
  2. drop to a low 60’s so US05 ferments slowly and produces peachy esters
  3. help yeasts finish the fermentation by raising a bit to 18°C and let them rest for diacetyl
  4. cold crash to prevent too many yeast in suspension in preparation of dry hopping
  5. raise to 20 to enhance dry hopping oil extraction, dry hop
  6. cold crash again to drop the pellets at the bottom of the fermenter

If you have any suggestion, advice, bashing or anything, I’d be glad to hear from you :smile: !

Cheers,

Guillaume

I don’t have experience with that yeast. But as general advice:

• Go slow on ramps to give the yeast time to adapt. Your first ramp down looks steep.
  • When to rise and how fast to rise: I do that on the fly, not with a pre-set profile. I just watch the bubble rate and if I think it is starting to slow down too much, I slowly start rising the temperature.
  • Cold crash as low as 1 degree.

And a more general question?

• Do you need to cold crash before dry hopping?

Ok, so I’ll slow the ramps then! About when to rise, I’d like to find a profile that is replicable so I don’t have to look at the fermenter every day (well, actually, I don’t manage to do that and always want to see the bubbles, but let’s say :wink: ).

For the cold crash, do you think that’s going to make a big difference between 1° and 2°C ? I’ve been pretty happy so far why the clarity, even without clarifying agent at 2°.

And yes, before dry hopping, I like to cold crash to remove the proteins and yeasts in suspension so you get a better hop aroma (otherwise, hop products can stick to them and you loose them when cold crashing at the end).

Thanks for your input Elco!

Good point on the hop aroma sticking to particles and ending up in your yeast cake. I will start doing this as well.

I would look at the bubbles the first time and use the resulting profile the next time without much supervision.

Interessting, is there anything to read about this topic. Or where does this theory come from?

Thanks for posting. Would like to see more profile ideas in here. Was thinking of putting together something along the same lines. I was using as a point of reference, the maker of Hop Fu, who has dominated the national homebrew competition like no one else.

Hop Fu is fermented at 67 for 10 days. It is then cooled in prep for dry hopping for the reasons you mention, but only to 60. The dry hops are added at 60 but then one day later it’s back up at 67 for 2 days, and then cold crashed to only 37. He is at 37 on day 17, probably ahead of you a little.

He is using WLP 01 by the way. I am thinking of going lower like you as well to have a slightly cleaner beer. I used 007 in a hop bomb and liked it, so I may use that again.

I was thinking of trying something along those lines, but I did have in mind the slope of the lines as Elco points out, I didn’t want to shock the yeast too much.

Hop Fu guy is talking about 10˚F per day, Brulosophy also if I remember correctly is about the same, so maybe that’s a good max ramp?