Software progress

@Elco not sure if this is something you plan for the next release or sometime in the future but it would be really useful to be able to add generic temperature sensors that aren’t necessarily linked to any PID inputs (with the ability to be able to give the sensor a relevant name for logging). That way we can add extra sensors for monitoring temperatures at different points (either for mash control or fermentation). This may be something that will come into play when you make things more generic/configurable in future releases.

Also would be really useful to be able to manually overwrite actuator outputs in real time so we can manually turn things on and off if required (ie pumps, heating elements, fans etc). Could even be worthwhile to be able to adjust PWM output duty cycle manually too. This could be useful during boil where you are only using proportional control to get the boil you are after?

2 Likes

@Brewer yes the PWM functionality is what you want, so get excited about that!

I’m just not sure the interface is quite ready for your requirements yet.

I cant help feeling that progress on the software seems to have tailed off this summer?

Is there any chance of a semi-official update @Elco as to what features are coming in the next release and when that might be? Even bug fixes seem to not be coming through. My BrewPi spark barely gets used as there is no multi fermenter or (proper) PWN support?

BrewPi still reigns supreme as the best single fridge controller/logger but it seems such a shame to see other projects catching up on the other fronts.

Best wishes to the project,

Dean.

I have been working in a feature branch, that will completely replace the current temperature control algorithm, will remove the state machine (heating/cooling/waiting), move the filtering inside each PID, has a different anti-windup algorithm, and a new fixed point class to store temperatures.

I have been developing this mostly in isolation of the normal firmware, just with unit tests to check the algorithms and the new temperature classes.

Because this is such a big refactor, the progress cannot be merged into the release branch and that is why you have not seen updates.

This rewrite will change the setup from 1 controller managing 1 process, to a list of independent PIDs, driving PWM outputs. So it will bring mash support, PWM support and multi-chamber support in one go.

Unfortunately, mdma has had his hands more than full with his work for Particle, so I have developing on my own. And it his hard to really make time for it between processing orders, everything around running the business, our new HERMS build guide and another few new products that are under development.

I realize that software development is going too slow. I have hired an IT master student who will look at the new web framework to use, the APIs and the architecture in general. He will start next week, but only has time for 8 hours a week. I am going to look at the possibilities of hiring a full time Python/Javascript developer too. Also whether I have the resources to do that and if not if it would be possible to loan some more money to pay for it.

3 Likes

Hi @Elco. You see! I knew you were beavewring away buit most of us don’t know/cant see that :slight_smile:

The changes you are making sound amazing as they will satsisfy so many users requests in one go. I just hope you can get there without burning out.

Hiring in some help to finish of the basic functionality such as wireless connection as well as the ‘must have’ features like PWM and multi chamber sounds like a really good idea. Just be careful when it comes to loans!

Is there no way the community can help you get the web framework redeveloped? It might be easy for me to say that when it isn’t my area of expertise but it seems like you are bearing all the work and paying to develop something open source. Surely we either need to help you or you need to licence this?!

Just my thoughts. This is still a great project and my point of reference for fermentation control.

Dean.

I am excited about this update. If you get PWM and the PID’s running there is no other comparable controller on the marked in my opinion.

I like that you didn’t say anything about the time-frame until this will be happening, even though I would have loved to hear something like “this year”… :wink:

For the community to help, a plan to work against is helpful, so we know what and how it should work at the end.

For example adding the WiFi option is a good start. But how and what should I add the feature if there is no bigger architect plan available that would guide me. I’m more than happy to help, for me it is fun, because I’m myself like to hack and I played around with the BrewPi and my own firmware just for the fun if it. Obviously implementing something that does work for me does not mean it fits into the bigger picture where the BrewPi wants to go.

What is the plan for the web application and what is the plan for the communication?

Get the loan dude. Make a product people can use out of the box and you’ll have your money back in no time.

Being someone with little linux experience and zero electronics experience, I would pay for a working product out of the box. I bet there’s many more like me too! One of theses days soon, I’ll probably bite the bullet and order everything and hope I can get it working, but I’d feel much better if I had something closer to out of the box and it’s pretty much why I’ve waited this long without ordering. It’s really the wiring I’m most worried about and that seems to be the part of this system that has the least information.

1 Like

I actually tried to do this route myself and in the end folks just didn’t want to pay the $$ to have a built system. There is a certain level of skill and time required to put these together and they really are a bit more for the advanced DIYer, with that said it seems that most buyers aren’t willing to pay the extra $$ to have a completed system. I wasn’t even charging that much more than my costs and barely covering the time I had to invest in each build. Most people just don’t want to spend the money and want a lot for not a lot, and frankly this isn’t a cheap device/setup but if you really want a great device it’s worth the spend else you should stick to an STC/ITC-1000 IMHO.

Cheers,
-Stephen

could it be an idea to team up with; http://brewfactory.org/

Every month or so I check back on these forums hoping to see things progressing and some new releases etc but my heart sinks when I see it hasn’t. Its such a shame :frowning: It seems the well meaning desire for complicated brewery control has completely halted developments with fermentation control - which really is your USP.

Without the features I brought the unit hoping for (last Christmas) - wireless functionality, PWM and multiple chambers my BrewPi just sits on the shelf becoming ever more obsolete.

(I am sticking with a regular STC as with current functionality it just isn’t worth it).

Is there really no chance of getting a developer to finish things off?

I have to agree with Dean. My spark is just sitting there collecting dust. My older arduino based pi still runs my conical just fine. I was hoping for some progress by now on mash/brewery control. Decided to move ahead with the BCS controller I already have.

The frustration is real for a good number of the user base. The spark was sold as mash control and remains unsuitable for purpose for the user base. While we understand the focus on selling hardware and growing the business, the core software that was bought into is unfit for purpose with no fixed eta on delivery.
From a pure business perspective, these forums and others will continue to fill with comments like these until the software is delivered. It has to be made a primary focus of the business if it is to survive. Other ventures will always be viewed as a distraction to the user base and will just not encourage further sales of your good products.

Same here. I was sure a release usable for mashing would come up after Elco’s vacations so I purchased the unit right away in hope to start brewing on my new setup at his return.

Not my shiniest decision…

Cool. Crossing fingers.

I do the same thing every single day, come here and check ift there is an update. I am in urgent need of the multi-champber-feature. I haven’t been waiting as long as other and I will be very happy if I get to see the required feature within this year :heart_eyes:

I suppose the issue for me is that I feel it is such a shame/missed opportunity.That being said, I wasn’t too involved before the spark and so maybe development has always progressed like this?

The non-spark hardware in the shop seems absolutely top notch but the BrewPi’s whole raison d’etre is the fact that it is THE all singing, all dancing, market leading fermentation controller. PWM is a much needed feature but that alone doesn’t justify the delay/ current outlay.

There might be a gap in the market for another good brewery controller but I’m not sure BrewPi is the right form factor. Don’t forget that things like this already exist…

http://www.brew-boss.com/

I also feel the community/forum vibe here has really struggled with no software updates etc.

How much does BrewPi currently benefit from (commendably) being open source?

Dean.

i am wondering if the BrewFactory software can run on the spark. Unfortunately, I don’t have the skills to try it out myself.