Spark 3 hangs every few hours

Hi Elco,
The latest firmware update seems to have fixed my Spark issues. It has been running without a hiccup for 3 days now.

1 Like

Running the latest update and my spark 3 seems to hand every few hours for a few minuten and starts working again.

Had been running Spark over USB for 24hrs or so, with no hangs :slight_smile:
Reverted to using WiFi earlier to day and have had a hang :frowning:
Reset using the reset button, logs below.
https://termbin.com/jdog

Running over Wifi here too.

That is an interesting distinction. Any chance of running on USB for a while? What are your wifi settings? (Channel, 2.4+5Ghz or 2.4 only, repeaters etc)

Still running over WiFi and another hang.
As be fore Logs here:
https://termbin.com/m721

Will switch to USB for a time.
Will get WiFi details and post when I finish work.

WiFi is provided by Virgin Media Wifi Booster/Power line
Hardware version : 2_0
Software version : LG-w27.3.1c.p10.0.2
WiFi 2GHz b,g,n
5GHz a,n,ac
Security WPA2-PSK
3 WiFi devices connect to this booster

Pi is connected to the booster by cable.
Network DNS and DHCP is handled by separate PiHole not connected to booster.

Setup has been in place for approx 2yrs

The Spark only supports 2.4Ghz. Do you have automatic wifi channel switching?
As a possible trigger, maybe the access point switches channel or the spark switches between 2 access points in range?

Set AP to manual channel selection.
USB cable removed.
Restarted Brewblox.
Working on WiFi connection.

This AP was setup because of a lack of alternative signal and sits 2m away.

Are you saying it already was on manual channel or is it now?

Sorry for not being clear.
It was on auto, now set to manual.

Another hang these evening running on WiFi

There is something definitely correlating with Wifi.

I have a Ubiquiti controller and APs, the spark is on an AP that is in a mesh/repeater setup.

The controller updated APs and the spark froze around the same time, solid blue LED.

I haven’t had a chance to update to the latest firmware as it came out mid ferment, but I will now given it could have just spent 6 hours 100% heating or cooling.

Same setup here I guess… but not using mesh/repeaters. Signal is perfect.
Had a hang last night. Fermenting, was just in time to reboot everything before the temperature dropped too low. Previous hang was locked on heating :dizzy_face:

https://termbin.com/5dlz

Anyone having problems when directly connected trough USB?
Don’t want to change it mid ferment, as I monitor/ping my spark every 60 seconds for problems.

Check your event log, see if there was any activity regarding your APs around the same time

The BrewPi (spark) never came back after being disconnected.

Screen Shot 2021-11-12 at 7.25.32 pm

Where can I find these?

Do you have the unifi controller going?

We might be on to something. The last hang was when my spark jumped to another AP after the Unifi AP updated.

I’ve connected a USB cable between my Pi and Spark 3, but it still connects trough wifi.

I think I just setup a schedule to update firmware once a week on a Saturday at 6am, which hopefully limits the potential exposure time for locked into cool/heating.

Although, this doesn’t impact times when you roam. You could setup a secondary SSID that is only on the AP that is closest to the spark, so it can never “roam”

Did that… but it seems that my Spark 3 keeps connecting to the old SSID. Where can I change these settings on the Spark?