Spark 4 Firmware Update (2022-09-30) Failing

Hey guys,

I was adding a new Spark 4 to my setup and while doing so I updated BrewBlox (running on a pi) firmware. Afterwards, in the GUI, I’m prompted that my 2 existing and 1 new Spark 4s have incompatible firmware and need updating. In trying to do so, I get the following error for all three:

Update failed: Request failed with status code 424
Please retry.
If the retry fails, run `brewblox-ctl flash`

After several reboots (both pi and Spark 4s) I’m still failing. I have tried to update the new Spark via USB but I keep getting:

WARN       No USB-connected Spark detected
Please connect a single Spark over USB, and press ENTER

That may be a problem with the PC I’m using so I will try from home on a different machine and will update accordingly.

Any suggestions on how to continue? If necessary, can I revert to an older firmware so that I can use the existing Sparks?

Log file can be found here: https://termbin.com/89bu

Thanks in advance!

Small update. Tried to flash the firmware over USB from another PC (Windows this time, first try was on Ubuntu) and had the same error.

This update includes firmware changes that can’t be flashed in the UI. You’ll indeed need to use brewblox-ctl flash and a USB cable.

Did you run the command on the Windows PC, or was the Windows PC connected over SSH to the Pi?
Where is the Spark USB connected to? Your PC, or the Pi?

The most common problem with USB connections is the cable. Not all USB cables are created equal.

You can whether the Spark is detected as USB device using the lsusb command.
A Spark 4 will have the ID 10c4:ea60

Did you run the command on the Windows PC, or was the Windows PC connected over SSH to the Pi?
Where is the Spark USB connected to? Your PC, or the Pi?

Both the Windows and Ubuntu PCs ran the command over SSH. The Spark was connected to the PCs.

The most common problem with USB connections is the cable. Not all USB cables are created equal.

You can whether the Spark is detected as USB device using the lsusb command.
A Spark 4 will have the ID 10c4:ea60

Will try with the “best” cable I have tomorrow. Thanks for the speedy reply Bob. Updates to follow.

The Spark must be connected to the Pi, as when using SSH, the command really runs on the Pi.

To clarify: SSH is just remote access to the pi, it’s like connecting a monitor and keyboard that you use through your PC.
So if you run the flash command, it runs on the pi and it looks for USB devices on the pi. USB devices on your PC are not connected to the pi over SSH. It is just the terminal text that is transferred.

Ah guys! I woke up this morning having not seen these messages and thought: attach it to the pi! I feel dumb now. Thanks for the speedy replies.