Temperature profiles

Most of the info I can find out there says that the first half or so of an ale fermentation should be done on the low side of the yeast’s optimal range. Then, the temperature should be ramped up to help push the fermentation to final gravity. Some say the yeast should be pitched on the cooler side and others say you should start warm. I see a lot of people do a cold crash of their ales once the fermentation is complete.

Here’s a temperature profile for an Irish stout I started today. It’s my first BrewPi beer. I’m using White Labs 004 Irish ale yeast. I’ll probably modify the profile based on how the gravities look. I’m curious how others are setting their temperature profiles on their BrewPi. I bet there could be a lot gained by sharing temperature profiles with the BrewPi community. It would also be interesting to hear how people are using their specific gravities to make on the fly adjustments to their temperature profiles.

1 Like

I agree. I’d love to see more discussion on temperature profiles.

what would be awesome (but i expect low priority) is an easy way for people to share profiles…

I agree. @elco I wonder if a dedicated category called temperature profiles (to cover both mashing and fermentation) would help to encourage discussion and provide a place for new brewpi owners to peruse when first getting set up.

I have added it as a category.

I also usually ferment at the lower range of the yeast and when fermentation starts to slow down, I start ramping up slowly (3 days) to the upper temperature for the yeast. I cold crash after a few days at the upper temperature.

I don’t get why you would get back to 18 first in your profile.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback! I’m changed my profile to hold 20 for a day longer, rather than drop back down to 18. I’ll then adjust the start of the crash based on my specific gravity.

Elco, is that your standard profile for all ales? What do you do for lagers? Would you mind posting a pic or two of your temperature profiles?

I usually go up all the way to 22, for a diacetyl rest. If it gets up to 22 when fermentation is already done, it won’t affect flavor, but it will guarantee that the fermentation cleans up nicely.

I don’t brew lagers myself.

I like to just keep an eye on the bubble rate. If the bubble rate is very high, I slow it down by ramping down (and thus fermenting cleaner) and as soon as it starts to slow down, I start ramping up to maintain about one bubble per 2 seconds.

So my profiles usually start at 19/20, then when fermentation is taking off, they go down to 17-18 (depending on the yeast) and then I ramp up to 22-23.

2 Likes

I’m brewing an Amber with White Labs WLP005 British Ale Yeast

Any have a good temp profile suggestion for that?

I had good results with the temperature profile I posted above. I used WLP004 Irish Ale, which has a similar optimal range according to WLP005. I might try a slightly higher peak temp on the ramp next time per Elco’s suggestion. I adjusted the start of the ramp to when I noticed a significant slowing in fermentation. I might also try dropping the temperature during the most active fermentation.

Would you post a screen shot of the temperature profile you end up using? I’d be interested in hearing your results!