Tilt integration steps

Hi - I have had a BrewPi system running for a few years now using a RPi 3 and Arduino Uno. I believe this is known as the ‘Legacy’ configuration. It has been reliable and easy to program, but I would like to add a Tilt Hydrometer I got for Christmas.

In reading the instructions on Sibolwer’s GitHub, the first instructions state that I should ensure I am running the latest version of BrewPi and I am unsure how to do that. I cannot find the version using the dashboard maintenance panels and when I navigate to the BrewPi directory I see two updater tools - updater.py and update-tools-repo.sh

I am running RPi Debian and accessing the device using Remote Desktop if that makes a difference. I can access the device and see the Debian desktop and can navigate to the BrewPi folders using the Terminal Window.

Thanks,

Paul

If you read through the thread on here regarding tilt integration there is a link to forked code for the legacy version and some info as well.

1 Like

Thanks, I took a look at the Brewometer Integration thread and am more confused that ever! There is talk of ‘Dockers’ and I do not believe I am using that. Also I cannot see the link to the forked code. How do I update my BrewPi code to the latest legacy code?

If I follow Sibowler’s instructions on the GitHub, I should ensure I have he latest version running (which I may have already) and then install the bluez and python-bleuz Bluetooth modules. Is there a command to determine what BrewPi version I am running?

Is there a specific post in the 450+ Brewometer Integration thread I should be looking at?

Paul

Sorry I couldn’t tell you specifically as I am running a spark but an aware that there is forked code and instructions for the legacy version.

I am using Fermentrack, which controls your fermentation temperature using the brewpi hardware but also has built in support for gathering tilt hydrometer history along with the temperatures. You can set up a Fermentation schedule, keep and review old brew history, it does a pretty good job. And I think, since it’s docker based, you can run it without uninstalling your brewpi software. Worth looking into anyway. Here’s a sample of a brew in progress.

Very good. Thanks for sharing.

Paul

Ok, I updated BrewPi and am working through the installation steps. The installation of bluez and python-bluez bluetooth modules went ok but I have a problem with step 3 which is enabling python to query bluetooth without being root.

When I execute the following command I get an error:
sudo setcap cap_net_raw+eip $(eval readlink -f ‘which python’)

The error I get is:
Failed to set capabilities on file ‘/home/pi/which’ (invalid argument)
The value of the capability argument is not permitted for a file. Or the file is not a regular (non-symlink) file.

Has anyone else had this error?

Paul

OK. I am answering all my own questions here. I found my stupid Linux noob error. The ‘which python’ part of the command must be in back-quotes which python. That works.

I ran the TiltHydrometerTest.py script and it correctly found my orange Tilt. Life is good - at the moment!

I’m sure I’ll have more questions tomorrow.

Paul

1 Like