Tilts not found after calibration

I had two tilts all integrated and working last week. This weekend, I added the files for calibrating their Sg and temp readings. And when I brought the system back up, it says the Tilts cannot be found. If I use the Tilt app, I can see that they are working.

I’m fairly sure I made no other changes. Probably forgetting something simple.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Move calibration files out of their proper location to disable and restart the stack. Does everything work again?

If so, Then check your calibration files for hidden control characters, especially if you copy/pasted from the docs directly. Some browsers are fussy that way. also double-check your line endings… Linux vs windows… etc…

Barring that, can’t imagine what else would cause those files to break the service.

Pretty much what @frizzo said. You can also check logs with docker-compose logs tilt to check for error messages.

1 Like

Yes, that appears to be the culprit. Working now. Will rebuild the files and see if I can do a better job.

1 Like

I’m having the same issue. My tilt was working just find but I had to mess with it and try and add the calibration files and now it not showing up. I removed the calibration files and restarted the stack, the pi and I even re-ran the setup on Brewblox. When I look at the logs for the tilt service it’s not complaining about anything and says the service is up. I’m in the middle of a brew so rebuilding the pi from the ground up will have to wait.But I feel like this should be fixable.

Rebuilding / re-installing the Pi is very unlikely to fix anything.

To get stats of the bluetooth adapter on the Pi:


To reset the bluetooth adapter, and then restart the tilt service:

sudo hciconfig hci0 reset
docker-compose up -d --force-recreate tilt

Ran hciconfig, this was the output:

hci0: Type: Primary Bus: UART
BD Address: DC:A6:32:F0:99:18 ACL MTU: 1021:8 SCO MTU: 64:1
RX bytes:36840901 acl:0 sco:0 events:836885 errors:0
TX bytes:2586 acl:0 sco:0 commands:98 errors:0

I reset hci0 and then forced the restart of the tilt service with no luck. I even removed the tilt service and then re-ran the install_tilt.py. Still nothing. I do a show services and it’s in there but not on the UI.

The UI picks it up as service once it publishes data.

To manually scan for devices, you could tinker with bluetoothctl:

sudo bluetoothctl

this changes the prompt. In there, use

scan on

I’m not entirely sure what the mac address of your tilt would be, but should be a decent test to see whether it can see anything.
You could turn on bluetooth on your phone to have a test device.

If I use the tilt app on my phone I get a reading right away. So I know the tilt is kickin. Here is the output of those commands:

pi@wbwserver:~/brewblox $ sudo bluetoothctl
Agent registered
[bluetooth]# scan on
Discovery started
[CHG] Controller DC:A6:32:F0:99:18 Discovering: yes
[NEW] Device B2:5C:DA:FD:45:69 B2-5C-DA-FD-45-69

And since it’s in my garage, my tilt is the ONLY bluetooth device in the area.

Your phone is one as well. instructions for finding your phone’s BT mac address. If your phone isn’t B2:5C:DA:FD:45:69, then that’s probably the Tilt, but I’m not sure how to verify that.

It’s not my phone. I’m using a vpn to hit my home network right now. So if my pi is seeing the tilt, why isn’t the service/readings showing up in the UI?

We haven’t yet verified that the scanned device is a tilt, but I’m not sure how to do that either if the tilt app doesn’t show the mac address.

We’re scheduled to get a dev tilt soon, and will then take up maintenance of the tilt service, but until then there’s a lot of guesswork involved.

In older versions (brewpi) there was a script that you could run and it would list the output of the tilt messages in the terminal. If I remember correctly it was part of some “tilt tools” that used to come with the tilt package.

Maybe Elco knows more, but I’m not aware of us ever having direct support for the Tilt. Google comes up with https://github.com/sibowler/brewpi-brewometer/tree/master/brewpi-script, which seems to be a modification of the legacy brewpi software to add tilt support.