User Interface Goes Away

Bob - All the other Spark Controllers and their associated RPi’s were turned off.

LOGS:

Spark 3 on fermentation system Rylie “spark-two”
termbin.com/r9fy

Spark 3 on fermentation system Ava “spark-one”
termbin.com/y7k7

Spark 4 on the RIMS brewing system “spark-rims”
termbin.com/sbcy

These logs were taken with all controllers and RPi’s powered up and the three user interfaces running.

Your logs show a spark-one service with no device ID set on all three Pi’s. You’ll want to remove it everywhere.

On all three controllers, run brewblox-ctl service remove spark-one.

Then, on ava alone, run brewblox-ctl add-spark -n spark-one.

On a more general note: why the three Pi’s? Everything seems to be present in the same network, and a single Pi is more than capable of controlling all controllers. This would be much simpler to set up and control.

PROGRESS!!!

When the logs were running, I did notice the presence of the spark-one and thought that they would probably need to be removed.

Why three RPi’s? I had assumed early on that an RPi was required for each controller. My bad I guess. Good to know however if one of them dies during a fermentation.

For the brew system, it is mobile, and we will want to be able to move it and brew elsewhere. No doubt this brings up a whole new can of worms……

UI settings and history are stored on the Pi, so it’s easier to set up all controllers on a single Pi, but you can’t switch between Pi’s on the fly.

When moving, you’ll have to update wifi credentials for Pi and Spark. Everything else can remain the same.

OK Bob -

Got it! Looks like everything has fallen into place. A sincere thanks for walking me through this issue.

Ric

1 Like

Unfortunately, though you were able to get my spark-name issues corrected, the Brewery user interface is still intermittent. Only the graph widget and the stopwatch widget stay on the UI. Everything else disappears at random intervals only to reappear on a page reload.

Which service does this apply to?
Could you please run logs for all services again?

It’s the spark-rims. I’m not having issues with either of the Spark 3’s on the fermentation systems.

Standby for the logs both with the interface up and down.

UI blanked:
termbin.com/itkf3

UI functional:
termin.com/1q0i

Sorry I got that backwards…my issue. Edited to the correct configuration.

Cut me some slack, I’m an old guy…

It looks like your spark is suffering from intermittent hangups.

This could theoretically be caused by the Pis bouncing mDNS traffic between each other. Does the problem persist if you only have the rims Pi turned on?

(If this is the issue, it’s fixable, but for diagnosis this is easier than tinkering with config on all Pis)

OK… All the other sparks and RPi’s are powered down.

Let’s see what happens…

Nope…

FYI, I have tried running the UI off of my hi end Microsoft Laptop, to see if the issue was the user interface RPi. Same issue.

This is acceptable for now… I’ll have some time to deal with it tomorrow, but then I’ll be on a backpacking trip for most of next week.

Given that only the block widgets disappear, it’s most likely due to connection issues with the controller.

I’ll have a look myself at possible issues. It’s been longer than usual since we released a software update, so some fixes have been queued for long enough that I forgot about them.

I have the same problem. Running a rpi4 with a spark3 and a spark4. And chromium by hdmi and usb touch interface. All pwm- and Logic Actuator-widgets disapear every five minuters or so.

Today I started up the rpi4 only with the power cable attached. Running the browser from a rpi3 now and no problems in four hours straight!

Was that with the Spark being powered over USB? The symptoms and solution suggest that the Pi was having undervoltage problems, causing the Sparks to brownout.

@Ric if you’re powering the Spark over USB, this also is worth checking out. The simplest solution would be to connect the Spark USB cable to a wall adapter.

The Spark-3 are powered by usb. It’s just drivning the pwm-signal to the pumps now. The Spark-4 is driven by a 12 volt adapter for powering the valves. The Spark-3 had a lot resets yesterday but not today.

1 Like

OK, I will check that out. I’m currently powering the Spark 4 via USB through the RPi. The RPi is being powered by a 5 VDC, 5 amp, power supply set at 5.25 volts DC. At one point early on, I thought that my heat elements (totaling 10,000 watts) were effecting the output of this power supply. I looked at the power supply output while switching the heaters on and off and did not see any changes. I am getting the “UI dropout” with the pumps and heaters all off.

All of my Sparks are powered via USB cables from their associated RPi.

What is the voltage range needed for the Spark 4 (not running any MOV’s)? Isn’t the Spark 4 powered via the USB”C” port?