What went wrong?

Anyone have any idea what went wrong here, transferred beer to fermenter 26 degrees, cooled and pitched at 23 leaving the fermenter overnight to hit 20 degrees. It wasnt untill two days later that I realised the chamber wasnt cooling and the fermenter was way too warm. I can only guess the compressor was short cycling and went out on some kind of safety overload. Had to leave it and go to work and when I got home the fridge was cooling again.

The problem is occurring again, its definitely an issue with the brewpi/wifi stability and not the fridge itself. I have been watching it happen and the brewpi shows waiting to cool then within the 10 min delay, I recieve an error “cannot recieve LCD text from python script”. It then reloads and starts the delay again. It is continuing this in a constant loop and never actually cooling

Based on that you say you get the state ‘waiting to cool’, I am assuming your are running on a DIY build based on Arduino, right?

With an Arduino Uno, it resets on serial connect, which resets the wait time to start cooling. So if you script crashes and restarts, this resets the Arduino. This is my best guess based on the info you gave me.

Looking at the log files will give you a clue on why the script is crashing.

yes I a running an arduino uno, I was putting my issues down to network problems with the rpi as it is continuously losing internet connectivity yet staying connected to the local network. My log files seem to show a common error serial error.

Mar 15 2016 18:33:02 Serial Error: [Errno 5] Input/output error)
Mar 15 2016 18:33:02 Serial Error: [Errno 5] Input/output error)
Mar 15 2016 18:33:03 Serial Error: [Errno 5] Input/output error)
Mar 15 2016 18:33:03 Serial Error: [Errno 5] Input/output error)
Mar 15 2016 18:33:04 Serial Error: [Errno 5] Input/output error)
Mar 15 2016 18:33:04 Serial Error: [Errno 5] Input/output error)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/home/brewpi/brewpi.py”, line 728, in
ser.write(‘l’)
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/serial/serialposix.py”, line 518, in write
raise SerialException(‘write failed: %s’ % (v,))
serial.serialutil.SerialException: write failed: [Errno 5] Input/output error

I have just placed an order for a photon based brewpi spark so i can update to the newer firmware for multi chamber and sg sensor not sure if that will help fix my issue.

should i be trying to fix anything on pi before i get photon, would love some help so i can get this to reliably cold crash

Input/Output error could be caused by:

• Bad USB cable
  • Bad power supply

If the Pi keeps rebooting your Arduino, you could also disconnect it from the Pi and let it do the temperature control on its own (without data logging). This will not give you profiles, but beer/fridge constant would be fine.