White screen on Sparc v1 rev c

Hi, just switched to the docker version. While it said connected to the Sparc, it wasn’t actuating the heater/cooler. I looked in the log and saw it said the spark version was too old, so I updated it with the docker commands listed in the guide. It appeared to flash successfully, but now the spark just has a white screen and I can’t connect to it. I can still flash it via the docker command. What should I do to fix? Perhaps does current firmware not support the v1 Rev C? Thanks

The oldest version supported by the new firmware is the Spark 1 with the Photon upgrade. the good news is that the upgrade is pretty simple.

Long time no see Geo!

As bob said: we still support the oldest board, but you will have to swap the spark core for a photon if you haven’t done that yet.

If you have, I recommend reinstalling with BrewBlox instead.

Hi Elco! Long time indeed!

If I’m planning on brewing in about 2 hours :slight_smile: … what are my options? Can I roll back to something?

Perhaps differently asked; what is the most recent combination of brewpi-script and firmware that will work with the Spark v1 rev C? I see --tag is present in the firmware updater, and i could probably push back to an earlier git release

using --tag=0.4.4 doesn’t seem to stick, it still tries to use 0.5.3 it seems:

downloading https://github.com/BrewPi/firmware/releases/download/0.4.4/brewpi-photon-0.4.4.bin
Firmware downloaded to /home/brewpi/utils/downloads/0.4.4/brewpi-photon-0.4.4.bin
Updated system firmware for the photon found in release 0.4.4
downloading https://github.com/BrewPi/firmware/releases/download/0.4.4/system-part1-0.5.3-    photon.bin
downloading https://github.com/BrewPi/firmware/releases/download/0.4.4/system-part2-0.5.3-photon.bin
Downloaded new system firmware to:

/home/brewpi/utils/downloads/0.4.4/system-part1-0.5.3-photon.bin and

/home/brewpi/utils/downloads/0.4.4/system-part2-0.5.3-photon.bin

Updating system firmware for the photon, part 1: /home/brewpi/utils/downloads/0.4.4/system-part1-0.5.3-photon.bin
dfu-util 0.9

OK, I take it back- whatever it installed, it’s working now. For others who may stumble across this thread, I ran
`docker run -it --name brewpi-dfu --privileged -v ~/brewpi-data:/data --rm brewpi/brewpi-raspbian python utils/flashDfu.py --trigger

docker run -it --name brewpi-dfu --privileged -v ~/brewpi-data:/data --rm brewpi/brewpi-raspbian python utils/flashDfu.py --noreset --tag=0.4.4`

This allows it to work with the current docker image (as of July 2019), and an older Spark 1 Rev C. Hope this helps someone else along the way.

And yes, Elco- first brew in nearly two years! Excited to get back into it again, thanks for all the work you’ve been pouring into this. BrewBlox looks very interesting, I’ll have to give it a try soon. Can you believe its been over 5 years!?!??!

1 Like

It seems that 0.5.2 is the last firmware that we released for the core.

But that is very old, so get yourself a photon and swap the brain.