BrewPi 0.4.2 - How to update

White flag raises slowly!

I give up. New user here trying to setup a system using RPI b3 and a arduino uno r3 and I think I’m stuck due to the above issue. Please note I have no internet at home and can only access files via phone or a trip to work for their wifi. Brewpi starts fine after install (2nd attempt) and I get script running (oem blink) but can’t upload brewpi arduino hex. I downloaded the hex from github and loaded the arduino via xloader but still have issues. Attempted loading hex thru maintenance panel again and I receive instructions mirroring the above quoted issue.

Now, when I attempt to revert to legacy with this process I get “command not found”. What am I doing wrong? Do I need internet access to perform this process?

I’m a diesel mechanic by trade but I veer to the geeky side so please be patient. Just wanna brew some beer!

Thanks,
Dan

Yes, you do need Internet to do this.
It will need to download the legacy branch from GitHub.

I cannot tell you what the problem is with ‘command not found’ if you do not copy the line above that states which command it was trying to run.

Since posting my question I’ve accessed a web link and still get the same/similar response.

“cd ~/brewpi/tools” wo/quotes returns
"Bash: cd: /home/pi/brewpi-tools: No such file our directory found"

“sudo python updater.py --ask” returns
"Python: can’t open file ‘updater.py’: [Errno 2] No such file our directory"

I’m sure it something I’ve done our forgot to do. Are these command files and directories purged after install? Is there anyway to load legacy during the install process?

Again, thanks for the help.

Dan

The right directory is ~/brewpi-tools, not brewpi/tools

And if the first command fails, so will the second, because you are not in the right directory.
I recommend using putty to login to your pi so you can copy/paste commands. And use tab to auto-complete when you enter them manually.

Yea, I typed that wrong, it was command as ‘-’, not ‘/’. My bad.

I’ll try the putty route and try again.

Thanks, Dan

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.
Last login: Sat Mar 26 09:56:06 2016
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ cd ~/brewpi-tools
-bash: cd: /home/pi/brewpi-tools: No such file or directory
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo python updater.py --ask
python: can’t open file ‘updater.py’: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo python updater.py --ask
python: can’t open file ‘updater.py’: [Errno 2] No such file or directory

Same results

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo ~/brewpi-tools/updater.py
sudo: /home/pi/brewpi-tools/updater.py: command not found

Forgot to include this earlier, this was the original issue when attempting to revert to legacy.

Dan

eh, dit you clone the brewpi-tools repo or did you skip that step?

At this point I’m unsure to be honest. Nice thing about these raspberry is the card memory and the ability to start from scratch. Learn more every attempt.

I’m in the process of starting over, again. I think putty will help also.

Thanks for the help, I’ll respond with results later.

Dan

SUCCESS!

Reloaded everything fresh, immediately reverted back to ‘legacy’ which worked fine other than a web repository issue which timed out and repaired itself.

Still had issues loading the arduino hex using the brewpi interface so I used xloader again. Rebooted entire system and I now have proper script running with temps waiting for sensors. Hopefully that will go well and I can get a Guiness clone going that I’ve had waiting far far too long.

Thanks,
Happy Dan

The repository issue was an issue still lol. Found the answer on this great resource you have here. Went through the revert process and fixed the location to html.

Ran into an issue assigning devices and once again found the answer here. Everytime I hit refresh the setting would revert back. Reset to defaults and all started working as advertised.

Started prototyping an enclosure and fired everything up for testing today. This system is very accurate and well worth the effort.

Thanks all for the help and resources.
Dan

Wow!

Brewed up a dry Irish stout last weekend, yea I like Guinness. Fired up the brewpi and put her to work. Had one little hiccup with communication between the rpi and controller that a full reboot took care of. After that it has ran flawlessly for 5 days with a maximum deviation of .16°F from the set point. This system is impressive!

Thank you Elco for all your efforts and your contribution to this craft.

Dan