Control panel with 3 phase elements

Hi folks, first post here. I’ve just started planing a larger herms project. I used a 20L manual herms before switching to a Braumeister, and now I’m pretty set on an automated 75L herms.

I’ve been considering the 3 phase elements in the store here, and wanted to get some general feedback. The obvious advantage is more power without high currents. But, are there tricks concerning wye or delta configurations? Is this something I even have to worry about? Are there any drawbacks? I realise the components are more expensive, but saving time is also important to me.

There are tons of diagrams on homebrewtalk but most are for split phase 240V US mains. It looks like some people here are using true 3 phase and I would be very stoked if someone could share a 3 phase 400v diagram. Or perhaps even some info on key components and considerations. Thanks.

so depends on what you need :slight_smile:
Elco sells ready to go control panels, i’m sure he can explain more about this…

I bought my control panel from him, it’s a true 3 phase control panel, so 3X 240 or 400 volt, however you want to put it…

uses 2 80 liters SS Brewtech Kettles and 1 SS Brewtech 20 Gallon Mash ton, with 15 automated valves, everything with 1.5" tri-clamp and done with and through @Elco :slight_smile:

it’s not the cheapest but well worth the money… we spend some time 2 weeks ago brewing the first batch on this system, and things like heating up to a boil are just awesome with this amount of power…

Hi, thanks for your input.

I believe I saw your system in this post, looks nice. Is the control box on the floor to the right?

So what I need is a controller for the 75L herms system which I plan on building. Sounds like you confirm that 3 phase service saves time. how much power do your elements have? Anything special other than a residual current device protecting your wall outlet? Are there 5 wires in your outlet connection? L1, L2, L3, Neutral, Ground?

I don’t see any complete or diy controller kits in the brewpi store. I think I want to build one rather than buy one anyway. cheers

No, mine is in a different enclosure :wink:

let me see if I can find some pics…

Just thinking about breakers and the gfci for 2 8500W elements. In the description here it says 3x 12.3A at 230V. But I think 12.3A is also the total current, no?
P = sqrt3 x U x I
I = 8500W / (sqrt3 * 400V) = 12.3A

So I could use a 16A 4pole breaker for each element. And perhaps a 40A gfci before the main wall outlet.

Do you know what current rating your wall outlet has? What about the size of the breakers in your controller?

Thanks for your time.:slight_smile:

sure;

so I am using the “smaller” element, the 6000 watts on 240 volt…

you have to realize that the 400 volt is basically 1 neutral and 3 X 240 volt and the 400 volt is reached by combining multiple 240 lines.
anyway, this 6000 watt element puts around 8 amps per line, so 240 volts X 8 amps X 3 lines = around 6000 watts… so the math works…
I think my power has a 40 amp breaker and a 16 amp breaker per phase.
i could have gone for the 8000 watt as well, but i’m using 20 gallon max brewing 55 liters per batch, so it would give me a small profit of a few minutes, makes it a bit harder to control as far as the burning the wort, and this gives me more flexibility at running 2 elements at the same time.

however, I think this is a good time for @Elco to weigh in… he is actually offering these panels ready build which I woul;d highly suggest!

Awesome, thanks for the numbers. Yes, it would be interesting to see some info on the solution from Elco and maybe some peace of mind on the subject.

Cheers,

12.3A is the current per phase indeed. Each element loop has a resistance of 18.7 Ohm. They are connected in a star (Wye) configuration.
So there are 3 currents of 12.3A to neutral and they cancel each other out due to their different phase (which is in some systems, the neutral point is unconnected).