Fermentrack vs Brewblox

I think I choose beermode in the wizard. Don’t know the difference but sound good to me since I want to control beer temperature during fermentation :thinking: Should I have chosen fridge mode?

The default wizard also generated a Temp Control Assistant, where you can switch between beer and fridge mode on the fly.

The differences between the two are:

• which sensor is used as input for the setpoint
  • PID config (air is more volatile, requiring less aggressive PID settings)

If you have beer, it’s best to use beer mode. Fridge mode is more of a fallback in case your fridge is empty or filled with something you can’t measure directly.

1 Like

Didn’t know I could switch between beer and fridge mode until now :rofl:
What is manual mode?

If you edit PID settings through the control assistant, they’re saved to the active mode. In manual mode, they aren’t.

1 Like

I just put in a betterbottle with water just to test a profile.
I have a 60W tube heater in my fridge. Will the controller adjust pwm to the heater or is that something I have to set manually?

The controller has no idea what kind of heater you have. It controls a GPIO on/off switch.
PID settings are dependent on the power of your heater and cooler, and the heat capacity of your system.

If you have it configured for 60L beer, and run a test with a 0.3L bottle, it will cause some wild swings, as it takes much less power than expected to change system temperature by 1*C.

1 Like

Do I set batch size anywhere?

If you’re using varied batch sizes, the relevant setting would be Kp. There is no simple linear conversion between batch size and Kp, so this may require some tuning.

1 Like

It’s usually the same batch size, about 25L. Testing now with 10-15L water and seems fine. No overshoot when going from 16-18C. Will brew in about a week so just trying to get to know the system a bit before I brew :slightly_smiling_face:
Don’t know if I need it but is it possible to set max pwm to 50% or so for the heating element?

You can set a Max constraint on the PWM.

1 Like