Not able to install devices

I’ve hacked my fridge, installed 2 temperature sensors, fired up both the raspberry pi and the spark…both are connected to 2a power supplies and both are connected with a USB cable…

The temperature sensors are detected but I cannot install them by assigning a slot and assigning to Chamber device or Beer1 and hitting Apply.

What am I doing wrong?

See screenshots and script displayed.

No installed devices found
Parsing available devices
Device list updated for null with a null shield
Device config command sent, U:{“i”:“0”,“c”:“1”,“b”:“1”,“f”:“0”,“h”:“2”,“a”:“2804CDA1060000FB”}
Device config command sent, U:{“i”:“1”,“c”:“1”,“b”:“0”,“f”:“0”,“h”:“2”,“a”:“2865F8A0060000D6”}
Device config command sent, U:{“i”:"-1",“c”:“1”,“b”:“1”,“f”:“0”,“h”:“2”,“a”:“2804CDA1060000FB”}
Device List
Read values

Have you tried rebooting the pi and then reinstalling the devices? I have read else where that this has helped with this problem.

I have, several times…and I’ve used 2 different Pi’s…just cannot get the available devices to install…

If you want to see what a working set of devices looks like, refer to this screenshot. If you mimic my settings then maybe you will get a working config. In particular I notice that you don’t have a device slot set, and you don’t have the function set:

Hi Dan,

Yes I see…however my screen looks a little different…I don’t see the “Controller Pin / Onewire” label…and even when I assign a slot the Function options stays at “None”…and when I Apply everything gets reset back to Unassigned…

That is strange and the root cause of the problem. What does your script say at startup?

The log (if that’s what you mean by script) …just discovered this…says this…

I’m running this hardwired connected via ethernet cable…dunno what wlan0 is referring to…

That’s the wifi checker script. To disable it, delete /etc/cron.d/brewpi, then run sudo /home/brewpi/utils/updateCron.sh, answer no to the wifi cron entry.

I’m getting a ‘Permission denied’ message when trying this and brewpi doesn’t have sudo access so I’m stumped at the moment…

run it as the pi user, with sudo.

I tried that…but don’t have a valid password for pi…I may have to reinstall the rip from scratch to get access back…

@elco is the wifi checker script the potential issue or are we getting sidetracked here?..

OK…I’ve solved this now by re-installing the RPi software from scratch.

but… I also had to perform these extas steps:

"…I re-ran “sudo ~/brewpi-tools/install.sh”

when it asked “what should be the path to your web directory for brewpi? [/var/www]:” I put /var/www/html

now, when i type the ip address of the raspberry into my browser, i can see the brewpi web interface!!!"

and also I set the heating/cooling output Pin type to “not inverted” - had to dig around for this info.

and finally…I had to confirm exactly where each input and output plug should live on the Spark…a diagram here would have been helpful…but apart from that it looks like it is heating and cooling when it should…

I’ve yet to plug the fridge in to see if it actually does cool when it should but…that’s for another day…

Glad to hear that :smile:
With Debian Jessie, the default web dir moved from /var/www/, to /var/www/html, we still have to update our installer to detect the version in use and suggest the right path accordingly.

Pins not inverted by default will change in next release. That’s a relic from the Arduino days when this was the right default.

Here is my first test dry (actually wet) run…using a warm jug of water into which the beer thermometer is placed.

After updating to BrewPi 0.4.2 I also had problems with installing and changing devices. I upgraded and updated everything, installed BrewPi again (and lost all data of previous brews :frowning: ) but couldn’t save the changed device settings. After “Reset Core to Factory Defaults”, I was able to add and change devices and save. Just a hint if you have the same problem.

(upload://1op5sPk8IyHFs6wFFpm5aE1ZEgm.jpeg)

!

This may not be exactly what is being discussed here but I’m in some dire need of help. I do not have programming or coding experience. I have an IT guy assisting setting up and has done my SD card for me, installed everything, has my panel up and going, local host, endpoints, portainer and what not. Script is running but it’s not detecting devices. We previously used the same setup at our previous location but did a lot of the mama gems to of this remotely or via pc on same network. Now are starting fresh at this location and can not get the equipment/devices to show up. What are the steps to trouble shoot this or get them setup?

I’m afraid the old BrewPi software has been retired in favour of BrewBlox

You don’t need any programming experience to install or use it, and it can do do much more than the old BrewPi software:

• Multiple fermentations managed by a single Spark
  • Multiple Sparks controlled by a single UI
  • Presets for classic brewpi-style fermenters, Glycol, HERMS, RIMS